Council Tax

Council tax is set by us and is charged on all dwellings (a dwelling is a building that people live in)

In general, the residents of a dwelling are liable for the tax whether they own or rent the property, providing they are over 18. 

In some circumstances the owner may be liable instead of the residents. An owner will also be liable to pay if the property is unoccupied (unless it is exempt).

Council tax bills are sent out each year for the 1st April. Bills are payable in 10 monthly instalments from April to January, although the number of instalments is reduced if the bill is sent out later in the year (for example, if you move house). Instalment payments are due on the 1st day of the month although other dates are available if you choose to pay by direct debit.

Tell us if you have moved or bought or sold a property  Pay your Council Tax  Council Tax charges  Exemption and discount forms  View your Council Tax balance on My Darlington+

Contact details

Phone: 01325 388373 

Fax: 01325 388311

Revenues and Benefits, Town Hall, Darlington, DL1 5QT

If you are going to contact us with a particular query on your own council tax account, please make sure you have your council tax account number available. 

If you contact us on behalf of someone else, you will need to provide us with authority from the person concerned to allow us to discuss their personal details with you.  

Council Tax performance data

Fair processing notice

We have a statutory duty to protect the public funds that we administer.  In order to do this, we may need to use the information that you provide to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud and we may also need to share the information with other organisations that handle public funds. 

Our data protection notification lists the people or organisations with whom your information may be shared.  In any event, your information will only be handled in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998. 

For further information, please contact the Information Governance Team on 01325 380651 or

There is also information on our Data Protection pages.

Change of address form

Tell us if you change your address

Use our change of address form [online form] to tell us about your move, or if you have bought or sold a property in Darlington.

Moving into the Borough

If you have moved into a property within the Borough or if you want to tell us you have bought a property in the Borough.

Moving out of the Borough

If you have moved out of a property within the Borough or if you want to tell us you have sold a property in the Borough.

Don't forget if you are moving out of the Darlington Borough area, you will need to inform your new Council that you have moved in.

You can enter your postcode on the GOV.UK website [external link] and find out what Council area you will be moving to.

Moving within the Borough

If you are moving home within the Borough we will need the details so that we can update our records and issue you with the appropriate bills.