Borough of Darlington
The Borough of Darlington covers an area of almost 200 km². It includes the town of Darlington, plus a rural area consisting of 26 civil parishes. It includes two parliamentary constituencies (the whole of Darlington Constituency and part of Sedgefield Constituency).
Darlington Borough was previously part of County Durham [external link], but is now a unitary authority and is part of the North East region and the Tees Valley sub-region.
Darlington can refer to either the town of Darlington or the Borough of Darlington.
The Borough of Darlington covers the following postcode districts:
- the whole of DL3
- almost all of DL1
- a large part of DL2
- some small parts of DL4, DL5, and DL6
- a sizable part of TS21.
A property's postal address is not necessarily a reliable indicator of which local authority it lies in. This is because there are some rural properties within the Darlington Borough, but near the outskirts, whose address reflects their proximity to a nearby village or town beyond the boundary (such as Stillington, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or even Stockton). There may also be properties beyond the boundary whose address includes Darlington.
Borough Boundary Maps
Each of the following maps shows a short section of the borough boundary. These are intended to help determine if a property or geographic feature lies within the Borough of Darlington.
- South West [pdf document] Area between Gainford and Piercebridge; A67; Gallow Hill; Greystone; White Cross; Piercebridge Grange; Headlam; Summerhouse; Dyance
- North West [pdf document] Killerby; Morton Tinmouth, Bolam, Leggs Cross, Toytop, Royal Oak, Bildershaw
- Thickley [pdf document] Area South of Shildon and North of Redworth; Brusselton Lane; Thickley; Middridge Grange
- Heighington and School Aycliffe [pdf document] Area East of Heighington and West of Aycliffe Industrial Estate; School Aycliffe; Heighington Lane; Cumby's Plantation; Brakkes Farm
- Brafferton and Coatham Mundeville [pdf document] Whiley Hill; Coatham Lane; Coatham Mundeville; Brafferton; A1(M) Junction 59; Shalter's Bridge; Aycliffe Quarry; Lime Lane & Lodge Lane (part)
- Great Stainton North [pdf document] Lodge Lane (East); Elstob; Old Stillington; Bishopton (North)
- Bishopton and Redmarshall [pdf document] Stillington; Bishopton Mill; Whitton Bridge; Redmarshall Bridge; Gateley Moor Reservoir; East Newbiggin; Whinney Hill
- Sadberge East [pdf document] East and West Newbiggin; Salter Carr Farm; Eddlethorpe Farm; Longnewton Reservoir
- Airport [pdf document] High Goosepool; Long Plantation; Airport; Trafford Hill; Low Middleton Hall
The following villages are included in the Darlington Borough: Archdeacon Newton, Barmpton, Beaumont Hill, Bishopton, Brafferton, Coatham Mundeville, Denton, Great Burdon, Great Stainton, Harrowgate Village, Heighington, High Coniscliffe, Houghton Bank, Houghton-le-Side, Hurworth, Hurworth Place, Killerby, Little Stainton, Low Coniscliffe, Low Dinsdale, Merrybent, Middleton St George, Middleton One Row, Neasham, Oak Tree, Piercebridge, Redworth, Sadberge, Summerhouse, Walworth, Walworth Gate, Whessoe.
The following villages are not included in the Darlington Borough: Aycliffe Village, Bildershaw, Bolam, Cleasby, Cliffe, Croft-on-Tees, Dalton-on-Tees, Elstob, Eryholme, Gainford, Girsby, Headlam, Longnewton, Ingleton, Manfield, Redmarshall, Stapleton, Stillington, Urlay Nook, Whitton.
The following civil parishes are included in the Darlington Borough: Archdeacon Newton, Barmpton, Bishopton, Brafferton, Coatham Mundeville, Denton, East & West Newbiggin, Great Burdon, Great Stainton, Heighington, High Coniscliffe, Houghton-le-Side, Hurworth, Killerby, Little Stainton, Low Coniscliffe, Low Dinsdale, Middleton St George, Morton Palms, Neasham, Piercebridge, Sadberge, Sockburn, Summerhouse, Walworth, Whessoe.
Individual parish maps are available.
The following parishes are not included in the Darlington Borough: Bolam, Carlton, Cleasby, Cliffe, Croft-on-Tees, Dalton-on-Tees, Elstob, Elton, Eppleby, Eryholme, Etherley, Gainford, Girsby, Great Aycliffe, Headlam, Longnewton, Manfield, Middridge, Mordon, Morton Tinmouth, Newsham, Over Dinsdale, Preston-le-Skerne, Redmarshall, Shildon, Stapleton, Stillington, Whitton.
There are no parishes that are split across different boroughs.