Projects and schemes
Find out about schemes taking place in town, including the leisure/cinema complex and DfE building
Darlington Town Centre has a catchment area population of about 500,000 people and has over 600 shops and businesses.
The Town Centre is compact which enables easy pedestrian movement, and was pedestrianised in 2007. The old and the new stand side-by-side, with high street shopping, two indoor shopping centres and unique specialist shops.
The Town Centre also builds on its heritage as a market town with fresh local produce on sale in the Victorian covered market, a vibrant outdoor market on Saturdays and Mondays plus the award-winning monthly Sunday People's Market.
In addition to the variety of shops on offer, the Town Centre also boasts many other features including:
- Attractive floral displays
- Unique public art - Life Pulse and Market Cascade
- Street events and attractions
- Relaxing pavement cafés
- Restaurants serving food from around the world
- A buzzing nightlife, with numerous bars and clubs
- Indoor multi-sport facility - the Dolphin Centre [external link]
- The Civic Theatre [external link]
- Crown Street Library [external link]
- Darlington Heritage Trail [external link]
A map of the town centre walking and bus routes from Darlington Railway Station is available here