How to Claim

To claim housing benefit please complete our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support application e-form [e-form opens in a new window].

For a full list of our e-forms please click here to visit our Online Forms page.

What you need to provide

You need to provide all your information and upload proof of your circumstances. If you haven't got all of your proof available then you can send further electronic copies to us via e-mail.

Everyone must provide

  • Proof of their own and their partner's national insurance number.
  • Two forms of identification.  

You must also provide us with these if you are a private tenant

  • An up to date tenancy agreement or letter from your landlord.

You and your partner's income

In most cases, if you are in receipt of state benefits or tax credits you do not need to give us proof of this as we can get this information from the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you are working, you need to give us your last consecutive two-monthly or five-weekly pay slips. If you do not have these, you will need to complete our certificate of earnings e-form. Part of this form needs to be printed and handed to your employer to complete.

Certificate of earnings e-form [e-form opens in a new window]

If you are self-employed, you need to complete our Self-Employed Earnings e-form here:

Self-employed earnings [e-form opens in a new window]

If you have a private or occupational pension and are not in receipt of pension credit, you will need to provide us with your most recent pension slip.

You must provide proof of all other income. In most cases a recent letter from the source of the income will be enough. If you are unsure of how you can give us proof of your income, please contact us for advice.

If your total savings and investments is over £6,000 (or over £10,000 if you have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit), you also need to give us proof of all the savings and investments you have.  This includes current accounts, savings and investment accounts, stocks and shares, national savings certificates, premium bonds and ISAs (this list is not exhaustive).

For bank and building society accounts, you need to give us your latest statements covering one full month.

What do I need to do if my circumstances change?

Whilst you are getting benefit you must tell us straight away if any of your circumstances change, and if any of the circumstances of anyone living with you change. It is an offence not to tell us about any changes that may affect your benefit. We may take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you will probably have to pay it back.

You must tell us if:

  • any of your children leave school or leave home
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
  • your income or the income of anyone living with you changes, including changes to benefits
  • your capital or savings change
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a youth training scheme, goes into hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison, or changes or leaves a job
  • your rent changes
  • you move
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month
  • you or anyone living with you starts work
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office

This is not a full list. If you are not sure, ask us for advice. You can tell us about changes by phone, by email or in writing.

If you report a change which results in you getting more benefit, we will amend your benefit from the Monday after the change happened, but only if you tell us within one month of the change happening. If you tell us late, your benefit will only be amended from the Monday after you tell us.

If the change results in you getting less benefit, we will amend your benefit from the Monday after the change happened. If you delay in telling us about the change, you will be responsible for any overpayment.

What happens when I start a job?

Once you have started work your housing benefit may stop, but you may still be entitled to some housing benefit if you are on a low income.  All you need to do is to provide us with proof of your new income and we will work out if you are still entitled to housing benefit. 

If you have been receiving income support, jobseekers allowance, employment and support allowance, severe disablement allowance or incapacity benefit continuously for more than 26 weeks you may be entitled to receive an extended payment of housing benefit. This means that you would continue to receive the same amount of benefit for four weeks after your circumstances changed.

You will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions to see if you are entitled.

Appointees and form of authority

Form of authority

This means that you allow us to talk or write to somebody else on your behalf. You are still in charge of your claim, are responsible for it being correct, and for telling us about any changes in circumstances that occur.

If you do not authorise us to discuss your claim with a particular friend or relative then we cannot disclose any information to them.


This is where you choose someone to become responsible for all aspects of your claim. They also become responsible for repaying any overpayments and receiving all correspondence on your behalf. They need to be capable of managing your affairs and be trusted to act in your best interests. They must be in regular contact with you and have enough knowledge of your circumstances to notify us of relevant changes of circumstances and answer enquiries. 

You would only need an appointee if you are unable to manage your own affairs due to physical or mental incapacity. The appointee may or may not be permanent.

Appointees and form of authority Application [word document]