Frequently Asked Questions

Can I foster/adopt if I’m over 40 years old?
Yes. Your age doesn’t reflect your ability to look after a child. There is no upper age limit. You must be 21 years of age to adopt/foster.

What if I’m not married?
You can adopt/foster if you are single. Some children may benefit from a single parent environment. Unmarried couples may also adopt/foster as well as same-sex couples.

I am unemployed, can I foster/adopt?
Yes. We encourage a range of backgrounds to come forward to foster/adopt.

I work full time, can I still foster/adopt?
Yes. As long as the child’s needs are met then you can foster/adopt. You can be entitled to adoption leave. You can consider Supported Lodgings as a way to help others while in full time employment.

I don’t own a home?
Yes. All you need is room to care for a child in an environment that is safe and secure.

I smoke, will this affect my chances?
Yes. You would not be able to adopt/foster a child under 5 years old. There are many older children who need fostering and adopting.

I have a disability, can I adopt/foster?
Yes. You would be assessed on your abilities to look after a child and all factors of your health would be taken into consideration.

I already have children, can i still foster/adopt?
Yes, you can. Your children would be involved as part of the assessment.

I have a criminal conviction, how will this affect me?
If you or a member or your household have a criminal conviction or caution for offences against children or for serious sexual offences you will not be able to adopt/foster. Other criminal offences will not automatically exclude you but will be taken into consideration during the assessment process, so please be open with your agency from the start.

I don’t live in Darlington?
You don't have to live in Darlington to adopt with us. We welcome application in a 50 mile radius. If you wish to foster then your location will be looked upon and if it happens to be too far for your and the childrens' needs then we will help you get in touch with a nearer Local Authority.

Please check out our Facebook page for more information