Darlo Care Crew
Who are “Darlo Care Crew”?
“Darlo Care Crew” are Darlington Children in Care Council, a group of young people in care who come together regularly, to look at issues that affect children in the care of Darlington Borough Council. Working with the Council, we make decisions which help to make the lives of young people in care better.
What's on Darlo Care Crew (DCC)?
If you are interested in attending any of the below meeting please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or give him a ring on 07949518506
Summer Holiday 2016 Activities [pdf document]
- Monday and Tuesday for Primary School Children
- Wednesday and Friday for Secondary School Students
Places are limited so a quick response is needed, to book a place contact duty worker 01325 406283
Arts and Culture Head, Heart, Hands Darlington
Head, Heart, Hands Darlington project [external link]
The ‘Pledge to Children in Care’ was develop from listening to young people’s thoughts and problems about being in care in Darlington. The Pledge is a set of promises that the Council has made to all children in care.
Darlington Borough Council promises all children in care that we:
- We will organise the way we work in order to best meet the need of children and young people
- We will do what we say we are going to do when we say we are going to do it
- We will keep in touch with you by your preferred method and make sure you know how to keep in touch with us
- We will ask you where you want to have your meetings
- Social workers should put in writing and sign what they have agreed to do! When the young person and social worker agree that these things are going to happen
- We agree that young people should decide whether carers /parents should attend meetings
- We agree that you should carry out agenda days at least 3 times per year to bring all children in care together
- We understand you have a private life like us so if we have to ask you anything personal we will do it privately and sensitively
- We agree to children and young people having a say when changes that take place affect you
- Your social worker will ensure that the best possible placement is identified for you
- We will help you to have a voice in matters concerning service for children in care Darlo Care Crew will do this and your IRO will take forward issues that you may have, we will also make you aware of advocacy services such as NYAS
- We will remove barriers to encourage greater inclusion, so all children and young people can have a voice regardless of disability, culture or ethnicity
- We agree that you should be included in the decision about what school you go to
- We will involve children in care and their views when interviewing staff that are going to work with you
Who’s who in Children’s Services and what do they do?
Link to the Who's who document [pdf document]
Choices Together years 10 &11 an opportunity to find out what it’s like to be a university student.
http://www.nerap.ac.uk/choices [external link]
Is Higher Education for me?
http://www.propel.org.uk [external link]
Things to do in Darlington
Did you know you can get free leisure with Healthy Darlington Card if you don’t have a card ask your Social Worker?
Rights and Entitlements and the Charter for Care Leavers
Along with other Children in Care Councils we have been working with the Who Cares Trust, A National Voice (AVN) and Government to come up with 10 Entitlements [pdf documents]
Darlington Borough Council have signed up to the Care Leavers Charter [pdf document].
There are some changes called Staying Put that allows young people to stay where you are until you are 21. What does it mean for you? http://www.catch-22.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Staying-Put-FINAL-WEB.pdf [pdf document].
What’s a pathway plan and why is it important? [pdf document]
Financial support for Care Leavers [pdf document]
Why not join Darlo Care Crew?
If you are aged 9 and above and in care in Darlington you can join Darlo Care Crew. If you want to know more about “Darlo Care Crew” or want to take part in helping to change things for the better you can get in touch with us through
Other useful links
- Family Placement Service
- Looked After Through Care Team
- The Who Cares Trust [external link]
- A National Voice [external link]
- NYAS [external link]
- Unicef - Convention on the Rights of the Child [external link]
- Children's Commissioner [external link]
- National Audit Office Children and young people in care and leaving care [pdf document]
- National children's bureau [external link]
- Taking it to the Next Level Corporate Parents and Children in Care Councils Project [external link]