Safer Recruitment and Managing Allegations
- Guidance for Staff Facing an Allegation [pdf document]
- Procedure for Managing Allegations [pdf document]
- Keeping Children Safe in Education [pdf document]
- Disqualification under the Childcare Act 2006 - statutory guidance [pdf document]
- Safer Working Practice [pdf document]
- Allegations Flowchart [pdf document]
- Managing Allegations Annual report 2014-2015 [pdf document]
Managing Allegations against Staff: How to make a referral to the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)
All allegations made against staff (including volunteers) that call into question their suitability to work with or be in a position of trust with children, whether made about events in their private or professional life, need to be formally recorded on the Agency Reporting Form and sent to the LADO:
This form must be filled in and sent to the LADO in Darlington in every case where it is alleged that a person working with children has:
- Behaved in a way that has harmed or may have harmed a child
- Possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child
- Behaved towards a child/ren in a way that indicated s/he is unsuitable to work with children
Whilst it will not be necessary to convene a Strategy Meeting with Social Care and the Police on every case, every incident should be recorded on this form and reported to the Local Authority Designated Officer. All referrals should be discussed with the LADO 01325 406450/406451 and followed up on the referral form below. The form MUST be completed and sent to the LADO within 24 hours of the incident occurring at LSCB@darlington.gcsx.gov.uk. If you are not sure whether a particular matter warrants a referral, make contact with the LADO on the numbers above within 24 hours and they will be able to advise you on the correct action to take.
Allegations Management Referral/Strategy form [word document]
The primary role of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is to help employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups including children.
The procedures have been developed as a response to Working Together to Safeguard Children [external link] which set out as statutory guidance the responsibility placed on all employers and other organisations who provide services to children to take steps when allegations of abuse or other inappropriate behaviour toward a child are made against someone in that organisation.
The aims of the procedures are to:
- Prevent unsuitable people from working with children and young people.
- Promote safe practice and challenge poor and unsafe practice.
- Identify instances in which there are grounds for concern about a child’s welfare and to take appropriate action to keep them safe.
- Contribute effective partnership working between all those involved with providing services for children.
These procedures should be used for anyone employed within Darlington, if it comes to our attention that a person is employed outside Darlington the area’s LADO to be notified.
Darlington’s LADO's are Amanda Hugill and Marian Garland
Secure e-mail - LSCB@darlington.gcsx.gov.uk
Telephone: 01325 406450/ 406451