Application Types and Forms

What Requires Building Regulation approval

  • New buildings
  • Extensions
  • Drainage work (including placement of fittings)
  • Removal of internal walls (loadbearing or non-loadbearing)
  • Erection of walls to form additional rooms
  • Replacement of structural elements
  • Replacement or removal of doors and windows
  • Conversions (for example: loft conversions, garage conversions)
  • Change of use

Building Work, replacement & repairs to your home [pdf document]

Builders and developers are required by law to obtain building control approval for most building work. This is an independent check that Building Control carry out to ensure the building regulations have been complied with.

The type of submission that can be made depends upon the circumstances. There are three types of application. In all cases there are fees to be paid.

These are set by the Local Authority, and are based upon a number of factors including the size, cost and complexity of the project.

Full Plans application

The depositing of a Full Plans Application is the way the majority of applications are dealt with. The person undertaking building work prepares detailed plans (usually by employing an agent) and these are checked for compliance by the Council.

The Council has to arrive at a decision within a set period and has the option to Approve, Approve Conditionally or Reject the plans.

Building Notice

The second method is a Building Notice. This is used for simple domestic work. The notice is simply a method of advising the Council that work is to be carried out.

There is no decision process but the builder has to show compliance on site. "Building Notices" cannot be submitted for commercial premises.


Regularisation is an application for retrospective approval. However it cannot be applied if the works were carried out before November 1985.

Applicants for a 'Regularisation' certificate should be aware that Building Control are likely to ask for works to be opened up for inspection. The details of any work that is found not to comply with the Building Regulations will be sent to you in writing and it is then up to you to correct the work.

A Regularisation certificate will be given when all of the work has been rectified and complies with the regulations that were in force at the time the works were carried out.

Minor works

Some very minor works are exempt from the requirements but as a general rule most building work, and certain changes of use, require approval under the Building Regulations.

Guidance notes and fees


The Building Act 1984; Section 80

This application applies to any demolition of the whole or part of a building except –

  1. A demolition in pursuance, of a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957, and
  2. A demolition –
    1. Of an internal part of a building, where the building is and is intended to continue to be occupied,
    2. A building that has a cubic content (external measurement) of not more than 50 cubic metres (1750 cubic feet) or, where a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forms part of a larger building, or
    3. Of an agricultural building unless it is contiguous to another building.

Demolition Form [pdf document]

Demolition online form [opens new window]

LABC portal

Submission of Building Regulation Applications through LABC portal