South Park has something for everyone.
Listen to bands playing in free outdoor concerts, enjoy the fabulous flowerbeds, talk to the parrots in the aviary or play your favourite sport in our multi-use games area.
We have a full programme of events throughout the year, including Race for Life, Proms in the Park and the Macmillan Toddle.
South Park is a grade II registered historic park. It has held a Green Flag Award since 2006.
How to find us
- Road - South Park is on Grange Road. Due to limited car parking around South Park we recommend you use the Town Centre car parks and access the park by foot through Victoria Embankment.
- Train - It's easy to get to South Park from Darlington railway station; walk from the station, down Parkgate towards the town centre and follow the signs.
- Bus - South Park is accessible by bus - for more information please visit Traveline North East [external link]
- Cycling - There are cycle paths linking from the Town Centre through Polam Lane on to South Park. Cyclists can access most areas of the park, however we ask cyclists not to cycle in the play area or the main bowling green.
- Toddler and a junior play park
- Multi-use games area
- Skate park
- Bowling green
- Green gym
- Aviary and Cafe
We are open 24 hours a day all year round with staff based in the Clock Tower Lodge from 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday.
Toilets (including accessible toilets) are open from 8:30am until 4:00pm.
South Park café
The South Park café offers hot and cold beverages, snacks and ice cream.
Outside In Education Centre
The Outside In Education Centre offers a range of activities for Key Stage one and two children, as well as nursery and reception classes. For information about the activities we provide please view our Outside In booklet [pdf document] or call 01325 406720.
Friends of South Park
The Friends of South Park (FOSP) is an active group who volunteer their time for projects and help out with gardening around the park.
They help out with gardening at South Park on the first Saturday of the month at 10am. If you would like to take part, gardening tools are provided, just bring sensible clothing and footwear.
If you would like more information please visit the Friends of South Park website [external link]
For more information about South Park, please call 01325 406720.