Household Waste Recycling Centre (Tip)
Household Waste Recycling Centre
Mewburn Road, off Whessoe Road
The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) is open from 8am until 6pm, seven days a week (with the exception of Christmas Day and New Years Day).
The recycling centre may get closed in the event of bad weather. Please check important announcements for the latest updates or call 01325 354867 before you set off.
- What can I take?
- How do I access the site?
- Can I use a trailer?
- Is there a height barrier?
- The only vehicle I have is a white van which I use for my business but also for personal use. If I have household rubbish to get rid of will I be allowed to bring it into the HWRC in my van?
- How much are permits?
- When can I access the site using a permit?
- How do I get a permit?
- Can I access the site on foot?
Unfortunately the HWRC is for household waste only. If you are a business, your commercial waste needs to be disposed of privately.
The best way to describe household waste is to think of the things you would take with you if you were moving house, such as furniture, cookers, electrical items and toys.
Household waste can be left at the HWRC free of charge.
If you need to bring your household waste to the site in a commercial-type vehicle (such as a rented van) you will need to apply for a free permit.
Items that you can't take include:
- Paving Slabs and roof tiles
- Brick Rubble
- Ceramics (this includes tiles, sinks, baths and toilets)
- Household fittings
- Construction waste
- Plasterboard waste
- Soil and landscaping (general garden waste like grass clippings is okay)
- Bonded asbestos
If you have items like these you need to get rid of you can:
- Still take the items to the Household Waste Recycling Centre and use the 'pay as you throw' service. This is run by the John Wade group and prices are available from them on request.
- Hire a skip or waste disposal bag service collection
- Take your waste to a licensed waste disposal company or arrange for a company to collect from you.
- Reuse the waste where possible or advertise it on websites like Freecycle [external link] or Freegle [external link]
- Use our bulky waste collection service
If you are getting rid of household waste, then as long as you use a car to drop the items off you can leave them at the HWRC between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Sunday.
If the items are so big you need to use a commercial-type vehicle you will need to apply for a free permit before you visit the HWRC.
See what is household waste? to check what items you can drop off.
Grass cuttings and gardening rubbish can be left at the HWRC
Rubble and soil are classed as construction waste and can't be left at the HWRC.
Yes, as long as it is under 4ft in length.
Yes, there is a 6ft height barrier at the entrance of the site.
The only vehicle I have is a white van which I use for my business but also for personal use. If I have household rubbish to get rid of will I be allowed to bring it into the HWRC in my van?
As long as you are disposing of household rubbish you can use your van but you must first apply for a free permit as you are using a commercial-type vehicle.
Permits are free. You can apply as many as you need to during the year.
Once you have got your permit you will be allowed into the HWRC on:
- Mondays (10am-2pm),
- Wednesdays (10am-2pm),
- Fridays (10am-2pm)
- Saturdays (8am-12pm)
Call us on 01325 388777 with details of what you are bringing to the site, the make, when you are planning to visit and the make, model and registration number of your vehicle. A free permit will then be sent to you by post.
Once you have got your permit you can come to the HRWC in a commercial vehicle to leave your household waste. You will be asked to hand over your permit as you enter the site.
The site does not have pedestrian access for residents; there are large vehicles entering the site which makes it a dangerous place for pedestrians to be.
However, if you arrive on foot with a small amount of WEEE (waste electrical electronic equipment) that you can physically carry; a member of staff will take it for you.