When thinking what to recycle there are some simple rules to follow:
- Food tins and drink cans
- Plastic and glass bottles
- Newspapers and magazines
- Paper and cardboard
- Aerosol cans and aluminium foil
- Garden rubbish
- Food wastes (including takeaway boxes)
- Film lids from ready meals
- Crisp packets and plastic bags
- Plastic coat hangers
- Tetra packs
Did you know? Everything you throw away in your general rubbish at home goes through a bio-drying plant and is made into SRF (Solid Recovered Fuel) which is used in the production of cement.
- For more detail about exactly what you can and can't recycle click here. [pdf document]
- For WRAP's (waste and resources action programme) guidelines on recycling click here [pdf document]
Ever wondered what happens to your recycling when we take it away? Watch one tin can's journey...
What to put where
We run two recycling scheme, depending on where you live in the Borough. What you put where depends on what type of bin we have provided for you.
If you have a:
- Black wheeled bin - general waste
- Wheeled bin with green lid - cans, tins, aerosols, plastics, juice cartons and foil
- Caddy in your bin - paper and cardboard
- Green box - glass
- Green caddy - cans, tins, aerosols, plastics, juice cartons/Tetrapak and foil
- Blue bag - paper and cardboard.