Residential and Nursing Care

Care homes can provide two major kinds of care:

  • A residential care home provides personal care, meals and accommodation for people who can no longer manage to live independently, with help and support in their own home.  Any nursing needs can be provided by a visiting district nurse.
  • A nursing home provides personal care, meals and around the clock qualified nursing care.

Some care homes offer both kinds of care.

Assessing Your Needs

You can can make arrangements to move into a residential or nursing care home yourself. However, it is advisable that you contact Adult Social Care for an assessment to look at a move to a care home. They will make arrangements with the home and in some cases provide funding towards the care depending on a person's circumstances.

For more information on paying for residential and nursing care see the Charging For Residential or Nursing Home Accommodation leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document)

Standard of Care Homes

All homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission and will be inspected regularly. You are advised to visit the home and ask to see its statement of aims and objectives, brochure and terms and conditions of residence.

You can view the Registered Care Homes in Darlington leaflet (rich text document)

You can find more information on care homes in Darlington and their inspection reports at the Care Quality Commission website [external link] and view a video of the work the Care Quality Commision does [external link]

For more information you can also view Guides and Factsheets on Care Homes [external link]