Support for people with learning disabilities to spend time away from their home while receiving the support they need is available in several ways
- Placements in a family home for people with a learning disability
- Placements arranged in the homes of carers.
- Short term placements lasting anything from one night to several weeks, enabling both the person with learning disabilities and their carers to have a break.
- Long term placements providing the opportunity for the person receiving support to live as part of the family.
- Residential respite for people with a learning disability. This can be arranged for people with learning disabilities at Holicote, Newton Lane, Darlington.
You may be able to access these services following an assessment. You can find out more information about the assessment process
How much does it cost?
There may be a cost for your services. This will depend on the type and amount of support you receive. To see if you can get help towards the cost of your care, a financial assessment will need to be carried out. You can find out more information on the financial assessment
There are a number of options available for you to choose how the support you need is provided.
Direct Payments are available to people who have been assessed as requiring a care package. You can find more information on the Self Directed Support webpages.
If you have support needs or care for someone with support needs and are wanting information on short holiday breaks, contact Darlington Association on Disability who may be able to provide information on these breaks. More information can be found on the Darlington Carers Support Service website [external link]