Locomotion No.1

Locomotion was constructed at the Forth Banks, Newcastle works of Robert Stephenson & Co. A total of four locomotives were built at a price of £600 each. The world famous engine "Locomotion No. 1" hauled the first train on the opening day of the Stockton and Darlington Railway on September 27 1825.

Delivered by road from Newcastle 'Locomotion' was first placed on rails at Heighington Station (Aycliffe Lane) ready for the opening day when it hauled a train of 'Chaldron' (a measure of coal) wagons and a coach for the Directors from Shildon to Stockton at speeds of around 12-15 m.p.h.

Locomotion No. 1 suffered from a broken wheel soon after it entered service and an exploded boiler in 1828, killed the driver. The explosion resulted in a complete overhaul at Shildon works, this allowed the loco to remain in service until 1841, when it was bought by Joseph Pease and Partners Limited for use as a pumping engine. It was presented to the railway company in1857 for permanent preservation and was placed on a pedestal in front of North Road station at Darlington. It was later moved to Darlington's Bank Top station (1892) and returned to North Road Station in 1975 with the opening of Darlington Railway Museum (now Head of Steam).

Locomotion is part of the National Railway Museum's collection of historic locomotives and is on long-term loan to Head of Steam.