At home in an emergency
If you are at home and an emergency happens, prepare a grab bag that contains:
- A list of useful phone numbers such as those for your doctor and close relatives.
- House and car keys.
- Toiletries, sanitary supplies and any regularly prescribed medication
- A battery or wind-up radio and torch with spare batteries.
- A first aid kit.
- Your mobile phone and charger.
- Cash and credit cards.
- Spare clothes and blankets.
- Bottled water, ready-to-eat food (like tinned food) and a bottle/tin opener
- should you need to remain in your home for several days.
- Baby food and care items where necessary.
- Important documents in a waterproof wallet (such as personal ID, banking and insurance documents).
In certain circumstances the emergency services may ask you to leave your home. If so, leave quickly and calmly as possible.
If you have time:
- Turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, unplug appliances and lock all doors and windows.
- Take the items with you listed above – and your ‘grab bag’.
- Take your pets (with suitable carriers or leads) and pet food.
- Inform emergency services where you have gone and how to be contacted.