Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour covers any kind of nuisance, unreasonable behaviour or harassment.  It also includes serious criminal activity. It has been defined as: 'any conduct of a manner that caused/was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people, who do not live in the same house as the person who carried out the behaviour.'

It is important to be tolerant of other people's lifestyles and to make an effort to get on with neighbours. Behaviour that results from different lifestyles, or which would not be considered unreasonable by most people is not anti-social.

If you live in Council housing, the anti-social behaviour pages in the housing section of this website may provide you with some additional information.

More information about noise complaints

Report issues such as graffiti, dog fouling and flytipping online

How can I report anti-social behaviour?

Area 1 (Cockerton East and West, Faverdale, Pierremont, Hummersknott, Park East & West, College, Mowden, Heighington and Coniscliffe)

Area 2 (Harrowgate Hill, North Road, Central, Haughton North/East/West, Northgate)

Area 3 (Lingfield, Eastbourne, Lascelles, Bank Top, Middleton St George, Sadberge, Whessoe and Hurworth)

You can contact the reception at Central House Annexe on 01325 406999, where your call can be put through or a message taken if the officers are out. Between 5:30-10pm, you can call CCTV on 07816 820048 or alternatively contact the Police on 101. Please provide as many details as possible (names, dates, locations, times)

If you are experiencing or witnessing anti-social behaviour that needs a response, then please contact the Police on 101. In urgent cases where there is immediate danger dial 999

How we will respond

  • We will contact you quickly to confirm that we're looking into your complaint. We can sort out obvious problems fairly easily. But some cases are not quite so simple
  • If the anti-social behaviour is less obvious or if it's aimed directly at you (for example, harassment and abuse) we'll need to talk to you before we start an investigation
  • We can meet you at your home, in the office or somewhere else. In most cases we will contact you within 24 hours of you reporting the incident
  • We will ask you who is affected, how they're affected, where it happens, and when it happens. We will speak to other people in your household who have been affected too
  • We will then draw up an action plan listing what you should do and what we will do to get the problem sorted out. The case is now a partnership - we are working for you, but you must help us by keeping to your side of the action plan
  • We can't take action against someone without evidence and we’ll agree the best method of capturing evidence with you.  We may give you a special 'incident diary' to record anti-social behaviour you see or hear. We can sometimes do this for you, but if the incident happens suddenly it may be best if you do it too. We might have to speak to other people who have witnessed the problem
  • If the evidence confirms the anti-social behaviour we will take action. In very serious cases - where the perpetrator has put you or another person in danger - we'll go straight to legal action. But in most situations we will take a more step-by-step approach to try to get them to change. We will interview the perpetrator. (You can ask us not to do this, but it could then be difficult to take the case further). We will tell them to change their behaviour or risk legal action. This is enough to solve the vast majority of problems
  • If a problem has not been addressed, you can use Durham Constabulary's Community Trigger [external link]