Youth offending service (YOS)
What does a youth offending service do?
It is well known that children and young people offend for a variety of reasons - social and family problems, peer group pressures, social exclusion, truancy and drug problems. If young people are to be prevented from re-offending they need the input of staff with a variety of knowledge and skills to assist them to make the right life choices.
No single agency has all the solutions to youth offending, but by working together, sharing knowledge, skills and experience, staff from the different agencies and professions can reduce it.
Darlington youth offending service is committed to this multi agency approach in order to carry out its mission to help make Darlington a safer place and to improve the life opportunities of the young people it works with in order that they can lead offending free lives.
Youth justice strategic plan: 2014/15 [pdf document, 5mb]
Youth justice strategic plan: 2013/14 [pdf document, 1mb]
Projects undertaken by our reparation team
Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.
YOS in the press
- January 2015
- Police officers get top honours from Durham Police Chief Constable Mike Barton [external link]
- National award for dedicated youth offending leader [external link]
- September 2013 - Darlington youth offending service recognised for their work in relation to reducing breaches of court orders [external link]
- July 2013 - Youth offending service wins national award [external link]
Volunteer with the Youth Offender panel
Working on a Youth Offender Panel gives you the opportunity to be involved in creating a programme of activities for a young offender that will ensure they repair the harm caused by their offence(s) and address aspects of their lives that cause them to offend by the use of Restorative practice
To find out more email Darlington.YOS@darlington.gcsx.gov.uk or call 01325 406999
- Ministry of Justice [external link]
- Youth Justice Board [external link]
- Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust [external link]
- Durham Constabulary [external link]
- NHS [external link]
Youth Offending Service
Central House Annexe
Telephone: 01325 406999
Fax: 01325 346846
For enquiries regarding: caretaking cases, reparation project ideas and general enquiries, please contact us on Darlington.YOS@darlington.gcsx.gov.uk