Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Dangerous wild animals

Dangerous wild animals licence

Licence summary

The act does not apply to zoo’s, circuses and pet shops

To keep an animal listed on the schedule to the act requires a licence from Darlington Borough Council. The number and type of animals which may be kept will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions. Applications should be made to the licensing section, Darlington Borough Council.

Licences are issued for the period ending 31 December should they be approved.

Fees will be payable for the licence.

The local authority may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

Eligibility criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the pet animals act 1951
  • keeping animals under the protection of animals (amendment) act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the animals welfare act 2006
  • owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the animal health and welfare (Scotland) act 2006. In Scotland an applicant must also not be disqualified from working with, using, driving or riding animals, providing services to animals that would involve taking possession of them, taking possession of an animal to carry out any of the activities listed or taking charge of animals for any other purpose

Application evaluation

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • that the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions
  • that suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly
  • that steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • that adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies
  • that a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. the register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner

A decision will be made following a visit from an officer authorised by the Council.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable time period of 28 days.

Apply online

Download an application form

If you would prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return it to us using the contact details on the application.

Application to keep dangerous wild animals [word document]

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court or, in Scotland, to their local sheriff.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizen's Advice [external link] will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European consumer centre [external link]

Other redress

Should you have a complaint relating to another aspect of the operation, noise pollution for example. Please contact Darlington Borough Council.

Trade associations