Distinct Darlington Ltd is the Business Improvement District (BID) company for Darlington Town Centre.
Distinct Darlington is involved in working with town centre businesses, keeping the town clean and safe and organising events and initiatives to encourage people to visit the town.
Darlington Borough Council is the collecting agent for Distinct Darlington Limited.
All non-exempt properties in Darlington Town Centre will be billed for 1.5% of their rateable value on 1 April each year (so if your rateable value is £10,000 you will pay £150 that year). Unoccupied and occupied properties must pay the levy.
Exempt properties include
- Premises that are occupied completely or mainly by a charity as office accommodation for the charitable purposes of that charity or of that and other charities; that have no commercial/trading income;
- Premises that are occupied completely or mainly by clubs and societies that are not for profit and have no other means of income other than voluntary subscriptions;
- Those businesses with a rateable value of less than £6,500;
- Stalls in the indoor market – (these stalls have agreed to make an appropriate voluntary contribution to the BID)
How to pay your BID levy
- You can make a payment online using most debit and credit cards. This facility is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- You can set up a Direct Debit by calling 01325 388400 or filling in the Direct Debit instruction form [pdf document]. Direct debits will be collected in one payment, usually on 20 July of each year.
- You can send a cheque/postal order to: Xentrall Shared Services, Transactional Finance, PO Box 877, Stockton on Tees TS19 1JA. Cheques must be crossed and made payable to Darlington Borough Council, and always include the BID Levy Payment Reference Number on the back of the cheque. (The BID Levy Payment Reference is located on the front of your invoice)
- You can pay in person by visiting the Dolphin Centre reception. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, credit and debit card.
The BID levy is an annual charge and there is no provision for monthly payments or payment arrangements.
Darlington Borough Council will send you a BID levy demand, which is due for payment no less than 14 days after it is issued. BID Levy Demands will be sent for the start of each charge year (1 July).
If you don't pay the levy, you will be sent a reminder and you will have 14 days from the date shown on the notice to pay. If the levy remains outstanding, a summons will be issued for your appearance at Darlington Magistrate Court.
If you have any questions, or your details have changed, contact 01325 388400 or [email protected]