Donating a device
Have you got an old laptop, smart phone, tablet or iPad that you no longer need?
You can donate any unwanted devices you no longer use and we’ll give them a good home.
Let's do Digital is an exciting new scheme that gives re-cycled IT equipment to people in Darlington who lack access to these facilities.
We do this by collecting unwanted devices, refurbishing them and donating them to those who need them.
The devices might:
- help children to enable them to access online school lessons or homework,
- support families with no or limited access to the internet
- enable vulnerable socially isolated people to stay in touch with services, friends and family.
We welcome donations of a range of working devices including laptops, tablets (such as iPads) and smartphones.
Devices should be packaged securely with any chargers or cables included where possible.
Before devices can be donated, please restore them with a factory reset to make sure that any personal data or information is no longer on the device.
Once your devices have been reset, please bring them to one of our community drop off points during their open hours:
- Crown Street and Cockerton Libraries
- The Dolphin Centre
- The Head of Steam museum
Doing a factory reset
We recommend you do a factory reset before donating a device.
This step makes sure all of your data is removed from the device, and that the business wiping and restoring the device can access it.
There are online guides to help you do a factory reset depending on the type of device:
- Restoring an Apple device [external link]
- Restoring an Android device [external link]
- Restoring a Windows laptop [external link]
For more information email [email protected]