Do you have a spare room?
Darlington Supported Lodgings Scheme is supported accommodation for young people provided within the local community.
Providers can be from all differing backgrounds and can include families, couples and single people who feel they are able to offer a room in their home along with some level of practical and emotional support.
Who is the scheme for?
Darlington Supported Lodgings scheme is for young people aged 16-21 years old who have been Looked After by Darlington Children’s Social Care.
The scheme is to provide supported accommodation in a home environment. Those in need of supported lodgings are young people leaving care and need support to learn the necessary skills for example budgeting, basic cookery and laundry etc to set up home and live independently.
All young people involved in the Supported Lodgings Scheme will have an allocated Social Worker and/or personal advisor to support them.
What’s involved in becoming a provider?
All Darlington supported lodgings providers need to complete an application form and undergo an assessment which includes taking up character references and checks via the Children’s Social Care department and Criminal Records Bureau.
You will also be asked to attend training to help you build on the skills that you already have.
As a supported lodgings provider you will be asked to provide:
- A bedroom for the exclusive use of the young person
- Meals and access to other facilities within the home
- A safe and emotionally stable environment in which a young person can mature and develop the skills necessary for independent living
What’s in it for you?
A chance to make a difference and contribute positively towards providing young people with the opportunity to develop the life skills needed to become independent.
- Personal satisfaction and reward as you assist a young person towards maturity
- A weekly payment - Supported Lodgings weekly fee with effect from 1st August 2020 - £250 per week plus a weekly contribution from the young person of £20 per week
- Opportunities to attend training which will build on your skills
- Direct and on-going support from a supported Lodgings worker