Working with children, young people and families
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for people who would like to work with children and young people.
This course is ideal for those with an interest in working with children.
Anyone with and a passion for making a difference in the lives of children, young people and families.
You must be keen, motivated and enthusiastic.
This course will challenge and push you to examine your values and beliefs.
It will give you the next step on the ladder towards your goal of working with children, young people and families.
There are no entry requirements for Level 1.
You only need the enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills, working with children and young people.
The Level 2 is suitable for those who have either;
- already completed the Level 1 course
- have a similar previous introductory qualification
- have substantial experience of working with children and young people
What is the curriculum intent of this course?
To develop knowledge and understanding in relation to those currently working with, or wish to embark on a career as a practitioner working with children, young people and families.
What will the course cover?
Each week, we will focus on different skills.
The course covers:
- Developing an understanding of sectors and services.
- Recognising the importance of team work and communication.
- Challenging discrimination and prejudice.
- Developing problem solving skills.
- Developing plan / do / review / evaluate skills.
- Developing knowledge and skills around substance misuse.
Develop a deeper understanding of the key aims of working with children and young people.
Look at and have a deeper knowledge of issues faced and the role of a practitioner within the children, young people and families sector.
You will also be able to identify and understand the key roles of agencies involved in working with children, young people and families.
You will be able to collate a portfolio of evidence for your qualification.
What could I do when I have finished this course?
After the successful completion of Level 1 you can progress onto Level 2.
After the successful completion of Level 2 you will have the opportunity to progress onto
- access to higher education
- award in substance misuse
- distance learning qualifications.
Where and when will I learn?
This course will take place either in a classroom setting or online via Google Classroom.
Please refer to our timetable for course dates and times.
What do I need to bring with me?
For classroom based sessions please bring;
- a pen (or a digital device to take notes)
- a file to store your work
For online courses you will need access to the internet and an internet enabled device on which you can access Google Classroom.
How much will the course cost?
Both of the Level 1 and Level 2 courses are free of charge.
What do I do next?
For more information, or to book a place, please contact the learning & skills team: