Thrift / Upcycling
Who is this course for?
This course is for anybody aged 19+.
- Aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Reside in the DL or TS postcode area, or within commuting distance of Darlington
What is the curriculum intent of this course?
The structure and delivery of this course will support you in developing knowledge, skills and techniques in thrift and upcycling.
What will the course cover?
- Introduction – the benefits of thrifting. Making recycled yarn. Recycled yarn projects.
- Visiting a charity shop – what to look for and how to win. Jumper toys. Mending techniques – patching, darning, repurposing.
- How to prepare your piece. Natural cleaning methods. Make your own cleaning products. Decoupage.
- Painting techniques – paint layering and smoothing, dry brushing, gilding, masking, resists ,Stencils, freestyle decoration
- Creating your own work. Selling your work. Sourcing items for free.
- It’s curtains. A million and one uses for curtains – choose between children’s clothes, oven gloves, bandanas, bunting, patchwork cushion, shopping bag, pajama bottoms……
What could I do when I have finished this course?
You could progress onto one of our many other courses, such as Distance Learning or CPD courses that will be made available to you.
Where and when will I learn?
- Bennet House, Market Square, Darlington, DL1 5PT.
- Starting Monday 9 January 2023, 10am-12pm.
- For Humankind clients only. Don't worry, this course will be made available to the public soon!
What do I need to bring with me?
You will not need to bring anything along to these sessions just roll your sleeves up and try something new or develop an existing skill.
How much will the course cost?
This course is free of charge.