Introduction to First Aid
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who would like to understand very basic first aid. This is not an accredited first aid qualification.
What entry requirements do I need to start the course?
- Aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Reside in the DL or TS postcode area, or any area of England in a non-devolved area
- It is recommended that you currently hold, or are working towards, an English qualification at around GCSE old grade C/new grade 4 or Functional Skills Level 1
What is the curriculum intent of this course?
The intent is to provide you with knowledge and understanding relating to first aid and situations that may arise either within the home, out in the community and or in the workplace.
What will the course cover?
This course is broken down into four separate zones, which are:
- Zone 1: This zone covers the role of a first-aider, how to approach different incidents and manage an emergency, basic patient assessment skills used by first-aiders and minor injuries such as cuts, burns and scalds.
- Zone 2: In this zone, you will learn about asthma, shock, severe bleeding and bone, muscle and joint injuries. You will learn about the signs and symptoms of each condition and will also look at how to treat these conditions and injuries.
- Zone 3: This zone looks at choking in adults, chest pains and seizures. You will look at signs of choking, the signs of chest pains – including heart attacks and angina, and the signs and symptoms of a seizure. This zone provides information about how to respond to each of these and how to respond to these incidents as a first-aider.
- Zone 4: You will look at head injuries, severe allergic reactions, unconsciousness and resuscitation and strokes within this zone. You will learn what the signs and symptoms are of each condition, and what the appropriate treatment is for each. You will also learn how to carry out CPR for children of different ages, and will gain an understanding of the legal protection for first-aiders.
What could I do when I have finished this course?
You could progress onto one of our many other Distance Learning or CPD courses, depending on your pathway of choice. Or you may want to achieve a qualification in Maths, English or ICT. Many free courses will be made available to you at the end of this course. You may also want to source an accredited First Aid training course with an alternative provider.
Where and when will I learn?
- You will learn in your own time to set deadlines
- This course will take place online via our online portal. You will receive your login details during enrolment
What should I bring with me?
- Access to the internet
- Access to an internet-enabled device (PC, Laptop or iPad/Tablet - smart phones are not suitable for this course)
How much will the course cost?
This course is free.