Time for Books
Who is this course for?
Parents, grandparents and carers of young children who wish to help their child develop good language skills and develop a love of books.
What entry requirements do I need to start the course?
There are no entry requirements for this course, only the enthusiasm to learn about and develop skills that will help their child.
What is the curriculum intent of this course?
The structure and delivery of the course’s curriculum will enable you to help your child develop a love of books. It aims to improve parent’s confidence and ability regarding the way they support and promote their child’s reading skills.
What will the course cover?
Each week, we will focus on different skills. These include:
- How language develops
- How to use everyday activities to aid language development and reading skills
- Making games to help social skills and vocabulary
- Introducing phonics and how they are taught in school
- How to prepare your child for reading
- The importance of nursery rhymes
- During the course your tutor will give you a home activity each week that you can share with your child.
What could I do when I have finished this course?
After this course has finished you may like to join in with other Family Learning courses or adult learning courses, including Functional Skills English, Maths or ICT. You will be given information about other courses and guidance on to progress during this course.
Where and when will I learn?
Tuesday 18 April - Tuesday 23 May
6 week course
Pre-school age children welcome to attend
What do I need to bring with me?
- a notepad
- a pen (or a digital device) to take notes
- a file to store your work
How much will the course cost?
This course is free of charge.
What do I do next?
Please refer to the timetable for course dates and times before applying.
If you require help with the form please contact us on 01325 405601, 07932 869325 or l&[email protected].