ECTs who started induction before 1 September 2021
ECTs who, on 1 September 2021, had started but not completed their induction, will continue their induction under the old arrangements, and will be required to complete a 1 year period.
These ECTs will have until 1 September 2023 to complete their induction as part of a transitional period.
Where possible schools / colleges should have regard to the revised statutory guidance, published in March 2021, in relation to ECTs who began their statutory induction before 1 September 2021 [external link]
For example, where possible these ECTs should have an ECF-based induction and a mentor for the remainder of their 1 year induction.
This is to be decided by the Headteacher and Appropriate Body given what is most appropriate in the circumstances and considering what proportion of the induction period remains to be served.
After 1 September 2023, when the transition period ends, all ECTs will be required to complete a 2 year induction period. These ECTs would not restart induction, but rather complete what remains of a 2 year induction.
It is expected that they will be able to access ECF support and entitlements for the remainder of their induction.
With the introduction of the early career framework [external link], ECTs will follow a specific induction programme of training and support from their school / college.
Our Local Authority induction programme has been updated to reflect this and starts with a welcome briefing in September and then each term we will offer a training session and a network meeting.
Please see our ECT Induction Programme 2021-22 [pdf document] for full details.
Please discuss attending our induction programme with your Induction Tutor.
All ECTs will receive meeting invitations via email for the termly training sessions network meetings. Please either accept or decline these meeting invitations so we know how many of you to expect.
To access the training resources from each session delivered during 2020-21 please see the information for the nqt page.
Before a school employs an ECT:
- You must make sure that they have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) [external link]
- You must make sure that the post is suitable for induction
Assessing your ECT's performance
- You should complete termly assessments of your ECT's performance as specified in the Teachers’ Standards [external link]
- Please send completed assessments back to us at [email protected] on a termly basis (for full time ECTs)
- If your ECT leaves the school before completing the induction period, you must complete an interim assessment to make sure that the induction can be continued effectively in any subsequent post
Useful Dates 2021-22
- Autumn term must be received by us no later than Friday 10 December 2021
- Spring term must be received by us no later than Friday 1 April 2022
- Summer term must be received by us no later than Friday 15 July 2022
Please either email or post the completed form to us at the end of each term and within 10 days of the review meeting for ECTs on full time contracts. Part time ECTs should be assessed on a pro-rata basis. Please contact [email protected] for assessment dates based on your ECT’s circumstances.
If sending by email this must be via the Headteacher’s email address.
Induction tutor networks
Due to the current covid-19 outbreak, meetings will be held via Microsoft Teams until such a time that face to face meetings can resume. Tutors will receive a Teams meeting invitation via email.
- Autumn 2021 – Wednesday 17 November, 1.30pm to 2.30pm
- Spring 2022 – Wednesday 23 March, 1.30pm to 2.30pm
- Summer 2022 – Wednesday 22 June, 1.30pm to 2.30pm
NQT induction essential documentation
- Induction for Newly Qualified Teachers Statutory Guidance [external link]
- ECT induction programme [pdf document]
- NQT Induction Tutor Guide [word document]
- Career Entry and Development Profile [word document]
- Career Entry and Development Profile Companion Guide [word document]
- NQT Induction Assessment Forms for Terms 1, 2 and interim [word document]
- NQT Induction Final Assessment [word document]
- Appropriate Body ECT Induction QA Report 2021-22 [word document]
Government website guidance [external link]
- NQT and Induction Tutor Records of Meetings [word doc]
- NQT and Induction Tutor Records of Meetings Action Plan [word doc]
- Evidence Tracker [word document]
- Progress against Teachers’ Standards [word document]
- LCCI Evidence Form [word document]
- NQT Observation Form [word document]
- NQT Observation Form – short version [word document]
- NQT Observation Summary Form [word document]