Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Environmental health

Environmental health

The environmental health section has two parts - the environmental protection team and the commercial team.

Air pollution

  • Monitor air quality around the town. An Air Quality Status Report is produced each year for the government.
  • Enforce smoke control areas.
  • Hand out permits and regulate emissions to air from some premises.
  • Investigate complaints such as smoke from open burning and bad smells.


Contaminated land

  • The Council has a database showing all sites in the borough where there has been an industrial use that might contaminate the land.
  • The team makes sure development sites are suitable as part of the planning process.
  • Provide advice to developers, landowners and consultants.
  • Environmental searches. 


Environmental advice

  • Providing advice to the public.
  • Respond to consultations from other parts of the council, such as licensing and planning.


Food safety

  • Inspection of all food premises to make sure they follow food hygiene rules and run the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
  • Ensuring businesses provide accurate information about food allergens to customers.
  • Providing advice to businesses.
  • Investigating complaints about food and food premises.
  • Conducting food sampling surveys and responding to alerts by the Food Standards Agency.
  • Investigate cases of suspected or confirmed food poisoning.


Health and safety at work

  • Inspection of commercial premises for compliance with workplace safety.
  • Investigation of accidents and complaints about workplace safety.
  • Providing information and advice for businesses.



  • Investigation of complaints, advice and monitoring.



  • The investigation and enforcement of nuisance laws under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
  • To be a legal nuisance there needs to be evidence of something being a nuisance or prejudicial to health (or likely to be).
  • There is no set definition of the term “nuisance” but it is something that causes serious interference in the use and enjoyment of a person’s property. It is more than just an annoyance or something that is present.
  • The specific sensitivities of the person affected cannot be taken into account in deciding whether a matter is a statutory nuisance. 


Examples of a legal nuisance:

  • The state of a building
  • Smoke/fumes and gases coming from a building
  • Smell/dust/steam from industrial, trade or business premises. 
  • Large amounts of waste building up. For example, large amounts of rubbish with food waste inside.
  • Animals kept in a building.
  • Insects from any industrial, trade or business premises.
  • Artificial light from premises.
  • Noise coming from a building or caused by a vehicle, machinery or equipment in a street.


Pest control

  • Pest control treatments and investigation of complaints.


Private water supplies

  • Sampling of private water supplies. 


Smoking and smoking shelters 

  • Enforcement of "no smoking" laws. 


Install our web app.