Stockton & Darlington Railway historic environment audit
The report helps us learn more about what remains of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.
The Stockton and Darlington Railway is the world’s first example of a modern railway network. It opened in 1825.
The report sets out how we need to protect and preserve this important piece of our history.
We will be celebrating its 200th anniversary on the 27th of September 2025.
- Volume 1 Significance and Management [pdf document]
- Appendix 1 Management Witton Park to West Auckland [pdf document]
- Appendix 2 St Helen Auckland to Shildon [pdf document]
- Appendix 3 Management Shildon to County Boundary [pdf document]
- Appendix 4 Management County Boundary to North Road Station, Darlington [pdf document]
- Appendix 5 Management Darlington to Goosepool [pdf document]
- Appendix 6 Management Goosepool to Stockton [pdf document]
Darlington Borough Council also undertook a report to find out more about the Croft Branch Line, in particular:
- what remains of it; and
- what condition it is in.
The Croft Branch line opened on the 27th of October 1829.