Household waste recycling centre (Tip)



Mewburn Road, off Whessoe Road

The Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) is open from 8am until 6pmseven days a week (with the exception of Christmas Day and New Years Day).

The recycling centre may need to be closed in the event of bad weather. We will alert you on this webpage and social media if we are aware of any closures. We also advise calling 01325 354867 before you set off.

What can I take?

I have a business, can I use the HWRC?

Unfortunately the HWRC is for household waste only. If you are a business, your commercial waste needs to be disposed of privately.

What is household waste?

The best way to describe household waste is to think of the things you would take with you if you were moving house, such as furniture, cookers, electrical items and toys. 

Household waste can be left at the HWRC free of charge.

If you need to bring your household waste to the site in a commercial-type vehicle (such as a rented van) or trailer between 4-6 foot long you will need to apply for a free permit.

What can't I take to the HWRC?

Items that you can't take include:

  • Tyres
  • Paving Slabs and roof tiles
  • Brick Rubble
  • Ceramics (this includes tiles, sinks, baths and toilets)
  • Household fittings
  • Construction waste
  • Plasterboard waste
  • Soil and landscaping (general garden waste like grass clippings is okay)
  • Bonded asbestos

How can I get rid of items the HWRC does not accept?

If you have items like these you need to get rid of you can:

  • Still take the items to the Household Waste Recycling Centre and use the 'pay as you throw' service. This is run by the John Wade group and prices are available from them on request.
  • Hire a skip or waste disposal bag service collection
  • Take your waste to a licensed waste disposal company or arrange for a company to collect from you.
  • Reuse the waste where possible or advertise it on websites like Freecycle [external link] or Freegle [external link]
  • Use our bulky waste collection service

I am redecorating my house – can I drop off my old carpets and furniture?

If you are getting rid of household waste, then as long as you use a car to drop the items off you can leave them at the HWRC between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Sunday.

If the items are so big you need to use a commercial-type vehicle you will need to apply for a free permit before you visit the HWRC.

See what is household waste? to check what items you can drop off.

Can I still take grass cuttings and other gardening rubbish to the HWRC?

Grass cuttings and gardening rubbish can be left at the HWRC

Rubble and soil are classed as construction waste and can't be left at the HWRC.

How do I access the site?

Can I use a trailer?

Yes, as long as it is under 4ft in length.

Is there a height barrier?

Yes, there is a 6ft height barrier at the entrance of the site.

The only vehicle I have is a white van which I use for my business but also for personal use. If I have household rubbish to get rid of will I be allowed to bring it into the HWRC in my van?

As long as you are disposing of household rubbish you can use your van but you must first apply for a free permit as you are using a commercial-type vehicle.

Vehicle HWRC Permit

Do I need a permit to use the HWRC (Household Waste Recycling Centre?)

Only residents of the borough are permitted to use the HWRC for disposal of Household waste only. Anyone attempting to deliver commercial or business waste to the HWRC will be refused entry.  This includes Land-lords disposing of items from rented properties.

Vehicle Type Permit Required?
Any vehicle under 6ft in height No permit required
Car with trailer under 4ft in length No permit required
Vehicles over 6ft in height Permit required
Car with trailer between 4ft-6ft in length Permit required
Commercial vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes Permit required

This permit does not allow for the disposal of non household waste such as:

  • Tyres
  • Paving Slabs or Roofing Tiles
  • Brick Rubble
  • Ceramics – inc tiles, sinks, Baths & WC’s
  • Construction Waste
  • Plasterboard Waste
  • Soil & Landscaping
  • Bonded Asbestos

A charge may be incurred for disposal of these items.

Permits can be obtained from:

  • Town Hall, Feethams, Darlington, DL1 5QT

Permits must be presented at the site, prior to off-loading items.

Vehicles must not exceed 3.5t GVW, Anyone attending site without a valid permit will be refused entry.

Registration and vehicle details are shown on the permit and must match that of the vehicle wanting entry to the HWRC, if they do not match you will be refused entry to the site. Only one commercial vehicle permit will be issued per household.

How much are permits?

Permits are free. You can apply as many as you need to during the year.

When can I access the site using a permit?

Once you have got your permit you will be allowed into the HWRC on:

  • Mondays (10am-2pm)
  • Wednesdays (10am-2pm)
  • Fridays (10am-2pm)
  • Saturdays (8am-12pm)
Please note that permits will not be accepted on Public / Bank holidays

How do I get a permit?

Call us on 01325 405111 with details of what you are bringing to the site, when you are planning to visit and the make, model and registration number of your vehicle. A free permit will be produced and you will be invited to pick this up from the Town Hall.

If you order your permit before 2:45pm it will be produced and available for you after 3pm the same day.  If you order after 3pm, it will be available for you after 3pm the following day.  To collect a permit you must bring your driving license and proof of your address, eg: Council Tax bill. 

If someone else will be driving or collecting the permit for you, please advise us of this when you order you permit.  Permits will only be released to the person who applied for it or the person named on the comments as driving.  If someone else is collecting, they need to prove their ID and your proof of address.

Once you have got your permit you can come to the HRWC in a commercial vehicle to leave your household waste. You will be asked to hand over your permit as you enter the site.

Can I access the site on foot?

The site does not have pedestrian access for residents; there are large vehicles entering the site which makes it a dangerous place for pedestrians to be.

However, if you arrive on foot with a small amount of WEEE (waste electrical electronic equipment) that you can physically carry; a member of staff will take it for you.