Residential and Nursing Care

Care homes can provide two major kinds of care

  • A residential care home provides personal care, meals and accommodation for people who can no longer manage to live independently, with help and support in their own home.  Any nursing needs can be provided by a visiting district nurse.
  • A nursing home provides personal care, meals and around the clock qualified nursing care.

Some care homes offer both kinds of care. Find homes in the area in our local resource directory [external link].

Assessing Your Needs

You can make arrangements to move into a residential or nursing care home yourself and arrange to pay for your own care. You may be eligible for support so it is advisable that you contact Adult Social Care for an assessment to look at a move to a care home. They will make arrangements with the home and in some cases provide funding towards the care depending on a person's circumstances.