Residential and Nursing Care
Care home support plan information
There are 32 registered Care Homes across the Borough of Darlington, which includes homes for older people, people with physical sensory impairments, learning disabilities and mental ill health.
Darlington Borough Council has worked in partnership during the COVID-19 emergency. The Care Home Support Plan has been developed in consultation with the care home sector and our local NHS partners: Tees Valley Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), County Durham and Darlington Foundation Trust (CDDFT) and the Tees Esk and Wear Valley Trust (TEWV).
- Care Home Support Plan Cover letter [pdf document]
- Care Home Support Template [pdf document]
- Support to providers that Darlington Borough Council has contracts with (accessible document) [pdf document]
- Support to providers that Darlington Borough Council has contracts with [excel spreadsheet]
Care homes can provide two major kinds of care:
- A residential care home provides personal care, meals and accommodation for people who can no longer manage to live independently, with help and support in their own home. Any nursing needs can be provided by a visiting district nurse.
- A nursing home provides personal care, meals and around the clock qualified nursing care.
Some care homes offer both kinds of care.
Assessing Your Needs
You can can make arrangements to move into a residential or nursing care home yourself. However, it is advisable that you contact Adult Social Care for an assessment to look at a move to a care home. They will make arrangements with the home and in some cases provide funding towards the care depending on a person's circumstances.
For more information on paying for residential and nursing care see the Paying for Residential Social Care leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document).
Standard of Care Homes
All homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission and will be inspected regularly. You are advised to visit the home and ask to see its statement of aims and objectives, brochure and terms and conditions of residence.
You can view the Registered Care Homes in Darlington leaflet (rich text document).
You can find more information on care homes in Darlington and their inspection reports at the Care Quality Commission website [external link] and view a video of the work the Care Quality Commision does [external link].
For more information you can also view Guides and Factsheets on Care Homes [external link].