Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Carers Assessments

Carers Assessments

If the person you care for is being assessed by Adult Social Care, or by Children’s Services because he or she is a disabled child, as a carer you also have a right to have your needs assessed.

More information can be found in the following leaflets:


Carer breaks

There are a number of ways in which carers can take time out from their caring role depending on what suits them and the person they care for.

Some of the options available include:

  • a paid care worker may support the person being cared for to take part in a community activity while the carer has a break from their caring role
  • they may also provide support in the person's own home while the carer goes out or takes part in an activity of their choice, rather than looking after the person they care for
  • the paid care worker may stay overnight to support the person being cared for, providing the opportunity for the carer to go away overnight or get some rest
  • the person cared for may go into a care home or residential respite for one or more nights

Some of the support identified above may be available through Adult Social Care following an assessment of the person's or carer's needs.

How much does it cost?

There may be a cost for your services. This will depend on the type and amount of support you receive. To see if you can get help towards the cost of your care, a financial assessment will need to be carried out. You can find out more information on the financial assessment

There are a number of options available for you to choose how the support you need is provided. Direct Payments are available to people who have been assessed as requiring a care package.

Further information

For more information on carer support services, including accessible and supported holidays for disabled people/and carers visit the Darlington Carers Support website [external link]

Services in your own right as a carer

If you have had a Carers Assessment, you may be able to receive support in your own right as a carer (Carers Services). It is important to remember that the type of support that can be provided will depend on your particular needs.

Examples of the types of support that can be provided include:

  • domestic tasks, such as housework and ironing
  • gardening
  • help to pay for recreational or other activities (for example: massages, fishing permits, computer courses, driving lessons)
  • assistance with child care costs

Other types of support can also be provided, in order to help you achieve your outcomes.

It is important to remember that the type of support that can be provided will depend on your particular needs.