Paying for Support

Paying for Care and Support

There is usually a cost for care and support services unlike health care which is free to everyone at the point of delivery. This page tells you about charging, how to apply for financial help and ways to pay for your care and support services.

You may find it useful to get advice from an independent financial adviser or an independent organisation.

In light of the implementation of the Care Act 2014, Darlington Borough Council have developed new policies in relation to Charging for Residential, Non Residential Services and deferred payment agreements.

If you have been assessed as needing support, the Financial Assessment Team will carry out an assessment with you to determine what you will pay for this support.

As part of the Self Directed Support Process we work out what people over the age of 18 have to pay for the support they receive to make sure that everyone is treated fairly. To do this a financial assessment will need to be completed to calculate how much you can afford to contribute towards the cost of your support. One of our Visiting Financial Assessment Officers will arrange to visit you to work out what this amount will be.

Paying for Residential or Nursing Care

If you need to go into residential or nursing care one consideration you will think about is the cost. Care homes will charge their own rate depending of the facilities and amount of support you need. You will need to contact the home directly for details of their charges. For more information see the Registered Care Homes in Darlington leaflet (rich text document) or visit the Care Quality Commission website [external link]

The Financial Assessment Team will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help. The financial assessment will include your pensions or wages and any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to during your stay in the care home. Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment are not counted as part of your income.

Your savings are also considered. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

For more information on paying for residential and nursing care see the Charging For Residential or Nursing Home Accommodation leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document). For more information please see the Residential or Nursing Home Policy [pdf document]

For more information on paying for residential or nursing care if you have property see the Charges for People with Property leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document). For more information please see the Charges for People with Property Policy [pdf document]

Paying for services provided in the community

Darlington Adult Social Care, along with all other local authorities, must follow Government guidance when making decisions about how to operate their charging policy for home care (or non-residential) services, for example day care, personal care.

If you are assessed as needing support and want to apply to Adult Social Care for help towards the cost, then a financial assessment will need to be completed in accordance with Darlington’s charging policy.

For further information on charging for non-residential care services please see the Charges For Services Leaflet (Text version, Rich text document or Print version, PDF document). For more information please see the non-residential care services Policy [pdf document]

Current capital limit

If you have capital, sometimes known as savings, assets or investments we may ignore some of its value when we work out how much income you get from it.

The current upper capital limit is £23,250. If you have capital at or above this amount you will not get any financial support towards your care costs.

If the value of your capital is above the lower capital limit of £14,250 and below £23,250, for every £250, or part of £250 over the lower limit, £1 will be taken into account as weekly income. This will be added to your normal income in order to work out how much you will be asked to pay.

If you have savings or investments worth less than the upper capital limit of £23,250 we will calculate how much you need to contribute towards your care, based on your savings, income and some of your expenditure.

Arrange a financial assessment

To discuss your care and support needs further please contact the Adult Duty Team who will arrange a financial assessment or review  if required, please contact: