Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Advocacy


Would you like help getting your point across? People are entitled to be in control of their own lives but sometimes, whether through frailty, disability, financial circumstances or social attitudes, they may find themselves in a position where their ability to exercise choice or represent their own interests is limited. In these circumstances advocacy can help ensure that an individual’s views and needs are heard, respected and acted upon.

There are a number of advocacy services to support individuals to say what they want and to get the social care support that they need. Some of these include:

Darlington Association on Disability

DAD’s Advocacy Project is a free and independent service for individuals and carers. They can support people who:

  • live in Darlington and have been assessed to use or need to use Adult Social Care Services and have difficulty in putting their views across to the council. This is known as general advocacy.
  • are subject to the Mental Health Act 1983, revised 2007. This is known as Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA).
  • have been authorised to be deprived of their liberty under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This is known as Relevant Person's Representative.

You can find more information on the Darlington Association on Disability website [external link].

North Regional Association for Sensory Support (NRASS)

An advocacy service for people who are Deaf, Deafened, Hearing Impaired, Deafblind, Blind or Visually Impaired.

For more information you can contact NRASS:
Telephone: 0191 4922035 (voice and answerphone)
Fax: 0191 4922143
Email: [email protected]

50+ Advocacy Service: Citizens Advice Darlington

50+ Advocacy Service is a confidential, impartial and independent service helping people to have their voice heard on issues that are important to them.

We can help support people aged 50 or over :

  • Obtain their rights to services as carers
  • Access the equipment and services they need
  • Obtain adaptations to accommodation
  • Challenge social care decisions they disagree with
  • By providing support in Community Care and Continuing Health Care Assessments
  • Help support people who are recently bereaved obtain rights and manage financial difficulties

For More information on the service Citizens Advice Darlington website [External Link].