Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Supported Self Assessment Questionnaire

Care and Support Needs Assessment


Step 1 - Care and Support Needs Assessment

To find out the amount of money which may be available to you to meet your social care needs you will need to complete a Care and Support Needs Assessment.

This asks you about your life, what kind of support you need and most importantly what your goals are. Adult Social Care will agree the assessment with you and from your answers, allocate an 'indicative' Personal Budget.

You can do this by completing a Care and Support Needs Assessment Questionnaire [word document] and emailing it back to the address at the bottom of the page.

All people will be offered a Personal Budget, except in the following situations:

  • People in crisis situations
  • Safeguarding Adults
  • People being referred to an Approved Mental Health Professional
  • People receiving Intermediate Care
  • People being assessed for Continuing Health Care funding
  • People being discharged from hospital
  • People with Mental Health problems (currently under Care Programme Approach 117)
  • Referrals for Occupational Therapy and Sensory Support assessments
  • People who are living in extra care housing unless they have an additional care package

You tell us what your situation is and complete the “what I think” column. Your supporting officer will discuss your assessment with you and complete the “what my supporting officer thinks” column.

There is a box after each question for you to tell us anything else about your answer that you think is important.

What is a Personal Budget Calculator?

The Personal Budget Calculator is how we calculate your Personal Budget. Each point equals an amount of money that you may have to spend on your social care support.

Will I have to pay anything?

We work out what people over the age of 18 have to pay for the support they receive to make sure that everyone is treated fairly. To do this a financial assessment will need to be completed to calculate how much you can afford to contribute towards the cost of your support. One of our Visiting Financial Assessment Officers will arrange to visit you to work out what this amount will be.

To work out the amount we will look at your income, expenditure and savings.  If you have savings over £23,250 you will be expected to meet the full cost of your support. Please see the Money section of the website for further information.

If you have to make a contribution to the cost of your support you will be sent an invoice every 4 weeks from the Council and you will need to pay this amount. 

It is a condition of your Direct Payment Agreement, which is the contract between you and the Council, that you will make this contribution to the cost of your support.

Care and Support Needs Assessments are also available from (and should be returned to):

Adult Social Care, Central House, Gladstone Street, Darlington, DL3 6JX. Telephone: 01325 406111.

E-mail: [email protected]