Supporting people and housing related support

The Supporting People programme is government funding of housing related support services for vulnerable people aged 16 and above.

The aim of the Supporting People programme is to give vulnerable people the opportunity to improve their quality of life, by providing high quality housing related support services, to allow them to live independently.

The Supporting People Team in Darlington work in partnership with Adult Social Services, Health, Probation, support providers (both local and national), and clients to provide these high quality services. The programme is delivered by the local authority through over 30 different provider organisations and many different services.

You may qualify for support if you:

  • have a physical or sensory disability
  • have a drug or alcohol problem
  • have a learning disability
  • have mental health problems
  • are at risk of domestic abuse
  • are homeless
  • are an offender or ex-offender
  • are an older person, in need of support
  • are a young person leaving care
  • are a young person at risk
  • are a teenage parent

All services operate within the fair access and diversity guidelines, and we support equal opportunity and access to all.

The Supporting People Team monitor support services in Darlington, to make sure that they are high quality, widely available and give good value.

The Supporting People Team does not provide support, or deal with referrals to providers.

To find services in Darlington funded by Supporting people please view our service directory [pdf document].

What is housing related support?

Key point of access (KPA)

The KPA has been established to offer advice and make referrals into supported accommodation for people who are homeless, or at risk of homelessness.

Provider Documents

Client Documents

Housing related support

Housing related support gives you advice and support in your home. This can include help with things such as:

  • Provision of a community alarm service, or warden call service
  • Helping you to manage your tenancy
  • Helping you to pay bills, and to manage your money
  • Getting advice about claiming benefits
  • Telling you about other agencies, that may be able to help you, and giving you support to talk to, or go to meetings with them
  • Helping you with life skills to live independently

Housing related support does not include any personal care, this is paid for separately.

For a full breakdown please read our eligibility criteria [pdf document].

Housing related support can be delivered through accommodation based services, or through floating support services.

Accommodation based services are linked to a property or scheme, this may be specialist accommodation such as sheltered housing or hostels. 

Floating support is provided in your own home, by support staff who visit you there. If you move, your floating support will move with you.

Supporting People services that are provided on a short term basis (up to 2 years) are free to the client.

Short term support might be for hostel accommodation or something similar, as well as floating support.

Services that are provided on a long term basis are not always free to the client, how much the client pays depends on their financial circumstances. Long term support might be for something like sheltered housing.

To qualify for Supporting People funding, you need to be receiving support from a provider in Darlington, who is part of the Supporting People programme. A complete list of Supporting People providers can be found in our service directory [pdf document].

To receive Supporting People funding in a long term service, you need to be in receipt of either Housing Benefit, or Council Tax support.

If you are not eligible for these benefits, you  may still be able to get help with your support charges with a Fairer Contributions Assessment.

It may be that when we look at your finances, you can get some help with your support costs.

Supporting People funding is not a benefit, so it is not paid directly to you, but to your support provider.

If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible for help from Supporting People, speak to your housing/support provider, or contact the Supporting People Team.