Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by Darlington Borough Council - Problems paying your rent

Problems paying your rent

We're here to help

If you are having problems paying your rent please tell us straight away. There is a range of help available such as affordable repayment plans, we can also provide advice on:

Rent payments

We understand that this is a worrying time and that you may encounter financial difficulties in the next few months.

If you think you may struggle to pay your rent as a result of the coronavirus, please get in touch with us. We have a dedicated Rent team who will provide you with support and guidance. They can help you during this difficult time, you can contact them via [email protected] A member of the team will get back in touch with you either by email or by phone.

Don’t forget that you are still liable for paying your rent. However we may be able to help you to arrange a manageable payment plan if you get behind on your payments.

Additional support

Want to know more about Universal Credit? The page has all the information you will need, including how to apply. Please go to our paying your rent page for the link to the websites.

If your claim for Universal Credit started before the 6th April, please make sure that you have told the DWP of the new rent charges from 6th April 2020. This will ensure you receive the right amount from them.

If your income has reduced, you may be eligible for support in paying your council tax. Please go to our council tax page. 

You will need to let us know if you are claiming council tax support and there has been a change to your income. If there has been a change of circumstances they will need to re-asses your claim.

You may be worrying about how you are going to pay your utility bills. For those on pre-payment meters, you may worry how you’re going to keep them topped up.

The government has launched an emergency package with energy suppliers. This is to ensure you don’t face any additional hardships in heating or lighting your home during the coronavirus outbreak. If you are struggling with money problems or are repaying a debt, options will include:

  • reviewing bill payment plans, including debt repayment plans
  • payment breaks or reductions in how much you pay
  • giving you greater time to pay
  • in some cases access to hardship funds.

Support will be available if you are having to self isolate at home. This is if you think you can’t afford to pay for any extra gas or electricity used during self isolation. You may be eligible for help through the local Citizens Advice Darlington. You can contact their Community Support Scheme, please call them on 01325 734991

Visit the Ofgem website for more information. [external link]

Please contact Northumbrian Water if you have a water meter. They can help you if you are struggling with your payments.

You can find more information on the Northumbrian Water website. [external link]

What if I can't pay my rent?

If you are struggling to pay your rent please contact us as soon as possible. We may be able to help you to make an affordable repayment plan and our tenancy sustainment team may be able to give you advice and support. Don’t put off contacting us, the sooner you contact us the sooner we can help.

If you have other money worries or debts you can also contact specialist debt advice agencies:

Money Advice Service

Darlington Citizens Advice

Step Change

Install our web app.