Insurance cover

We have arranged a contents insurance scheme which is geared towards your needs - set up with Marsh and Royal & Sun Alliance.

We insure your building, but this does not cover your windows and doors as this is your responsibility. If these need repairing, you will be recharged for the work.

If you choose to use another insurance provider we recommend that you specify that you want windows and doors, including locks, to be covered as it is not always standard.

How much will it cost?

From as little as 73p a week for pensioners you can give yourself peace of mind knowing that you will have a contents insurance policy which includes the following benefits:

  • new for old cover
  • cover for fire, lightning, explosion, storm, flood
  • cover for escape of water / oil
  • cover for theft or attempted theft
  • cover for riot, vandalism
  • cover for theft / loss of keys
  • cover for accidental damage to TVs, videos, DVDs, mirrors and fixed glass in furniture
  • cover for freezer contents
  • cover for damage to improvements you have made to your home
  • cover for council garages
  • no excess payable on any claim which means you don’t have to pay something towards the cost of replacing items
  • the option to pay for the insurance weekly, fortnightly, monthly and annually

You can download an application form [pdf document] and the insurance product information document for cover details [pdf document]; the forms are also available from the Contact Centre or your Management Office. Your completed form should be sent back to Royal & Sun Alliance.

Once accepted onto the scheme you will receive details about your policy direct from Royal & Sun Alliance, and your weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments can be paid at the Post Office. The amount of the payment will depend upon how much cover you have requested.

Bedroom Tax –what this means for your insurance

Reforms to the welfare system will cut the amount of benefit that people can claim if they have a spare bedroom in their Council or Housing Association home.

The power to do this is contained in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 and this is commonly referred to as the bedroom tax, size criteria or under‐occupation penalty.

If you have a spare bedroom and are likely to be affected by this measure, you may have considered letting your spare bedroom to a lodger. Your landlord has negotiated on your behalf changes to the cover provided under your tenants contents insurance policy to allow you to take in a lodger.

You must tell your landlord and insurer that you are going to let your spare bedroom to a lodger before doing so, but your tenants contents insurance policy will continue to insure you.

Your tenants contents insurance policy will not cover your lodger’s possessions and they will need to arrange their own policy to cover their contents. In addition, your policy will not provide cover for damage caused by theft or malicious damage unless there is evidence that force and violence has been used to get into or out of your home and while the home is lent, let or sub‐let to anyone other than the family unless force and violence has been used to get into or out of the home.

Your lodger would need to take out a separate contents policy through your landlords insurance scheme separately for their own contents in their own name, even if they have a small amount of contents, we would not cover the contents for all individuals jointly under one policy.