Investing in your home
We want our tenants to live in homes that are modern, warm, comfortable and are of a good standard. To achieve this we provide:
- new kitchens
- heating systems.
We have a planned programme of work to ensure every year our properties are being improved.
Specific adaptations may be available if you are:
- have a family member with special needs
We will access your needs and may also involve other professionals. (for example, an occupational therapist) for adaptations such as a flat floor shower.
We will send out letters at the beginning of April. These advise if we included your property in the programme for that financial year. We will still send out further letters to arrange visits to your property.
No, you do not have to move out while the improvements are taking place.
We recommend that you prepare yourself and your home well in advance of the works.
- Pack and store any valuable, breakable and personal things
- Ensure you have cleared all surfaces, including the bedrooms
- Take pictures and mirrors off the walls
- Take down curtains and blinds
- Empty kitchen cupboards unless it is only central heating works that you are having done
- Keep as little as possible out
you should keep small appliances such and kettles and microwaves at hand
- Keep cutlery items at hand
- Remove wallpaper from the kitchen and bathroom before work starts
- Do not attempt to move any of your major kitchen appliances. We have a trained workforce who will move the appliances as necessary. The council takes no responsibility for damage
We will cover furniture with dustsheets when we start work. If we do not think your home is ready we may need to delay the works.
This depends on what improvements we will carry out. It is usually five working days for kitchen, bathroom and electrical upgrade. It is usually one day for gas to gas central heating replacement. Please understand that there will be some disruption and things will not always go to plan.
By the end of each working day we will provide:
- hot and cold water
- flushing toilet
- television reception
- cooking facilities (where possible)
When we have completed the works, we will carry out an inspection. We will fix anything that is wrong and ask you to sign a form saying you are happy.
We will ask you to complete a confidential satisfaction survey. We will use this information to make sure we improve our service to you.
Making improvements to your home
If you want to make improvements to your home, you will need to ask permission from us in writing before you carry out any work including:
- alterations to your home such as removing doors; moving walls; installing laminate flooring etc
- putting a greenhouse or shed in the garden
- putting a garage on the property
- fitting a CB aerial or satellite dish
- building a parking space or drive
- building a pigeon cree or aviary
- decorating the outside of your house.
Even if we give our written permission, you may still need planning permission to meet building regulations. We may withdraw our permission if a nuisance is caused.
Planning permission/building regulations
All work done at the property needs to be completed to a high standard. All works involving gas supply must be checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer and all electrical work by an NICEIC approved contractor. Any costs incurred regarding planning should be met by yourself.
You may be entitled to compensation for any improvements that you make.