What you fix

You are responsible for:

  • Blocked sinks drains, hand basins, baths and toilets
  • Bathroom fittings (such as towel rails)
  • TV aerials (unless we have fitted them in communal blocks)
  • Changing locks due to a stolen or lost key and additional window locks 
  • Draining the water system - if the property is going to be left empty for more than one night during freezing weather conditions, the system should be drained or the central heating left on low to prevent pipes or tanks from bursting
  • Your own fixtures and fittings
  • Adjustment of internal doors after a carpet has been fitted
  • Flooded gardens
  • Electrical and gas installations or appliances - you must make sure that any appliances are installed by trained and competent trades people. Permission will be required.
  • Doorbell (unless installed by social or warden services)
  • Garden maintenance
  • Proving a dustbin, unless you are a new tenant.
  • Light bulbs or tubes and pull cords unless they are a sealed unit to the kitchen or bathroom and installed by the council.
  • Shower curtains and poles.
  • Minor plaster cracks which can be filled by a decorating filler.
  • Boarding of broken windows and re-glazing including out of hours. You will need to claim off your own house insurance.
  • Extra security locks
  • Electric plugs, electric meter and supply of electricity, electricity failure due to a faulty appliance
  • Battery operated smoke alarms not installed by the council
  • Cooker disconnection and re-connection and bayonet fittings and other white goods
  • Laminate flooring – lifting or repair
  • Toilet seats.

You are responsible for all repairs due to accidental or deliberate damage due to fault, neglect or carelessness including:

  • Plugs and chains to sinks, hand basins and baths
  • Toilet lid/seat (this will only be replaced if you are a new tenant)
  • Internal decoration
  • Knocked radiator valves that are leaking
  • Trip switches/broken fuses as a result of a faulty appliance
  • Nails through pipework
  • Collection of rubbish
  • Repair of unauthorized or unsafe alterations
  • Charging for tenant damage
  • Door adjustment following the fitting of new carpets
  • Broken glazing
  • Blocked wash hand basin, bath or sink
  • Changing door locks due to the loss of keys
  • Where plastering has been extensively damaged through the prolonged use of a steamer to strip wallpaper
  • Charging for repairs that are a tenant’s responsibility
  • Abuse of the emergency service (for example, if you exaggerate the urgency of the repair request).

If the repair is your responsibility but you ask us to carry out the repair, we will usually charge you. Before the repair is ordered you must sign a recharge form to authorise us to carry out this work - signatures of friends/family will not be accepted

Examples of the repairs you can pay us to carry out for you include:

  • Reglazing windows and doors
  • Changing door locks
  • Unblocking sinks, wash hand basins, baths and external gullies.

Phone 01325 388542 and we will arrange an appointment with you. A property inspector may need to visit and assess the repair before the work is ordered.