Certificates and policies
Certificates and Accreditation
- Institute of Qualified Lifeguards - Approved Training Centre [pdf document]
- The British Olympic Association - Passport Scheme Supporting Centre [pdf document]
- Darlington Breastfeeding Friendly Premises [pdf document]
- Has your doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only do physical activity recommended by a doctor?
- Do you feel pain in your chest when you do physical activity?
- In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not doing physical activity?
- Do you lose your balance because of dizziness?
- Do you have a bone of joint problem (for example, back, knee or hip) that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
- Is your doctor currently prescribing drugs (for example, water pills) for your blood pressure or heart condition?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not do physical activity?
- Consider undertaking a fitness appraisal to determine your basic fitness so that you can plan the best way for you to live actively.
- Having your blood pressure evaluated before you become more active is highly recommended.
- BUT, delay becoming more active if you have a temporary illness such as a cold or fever. Or, if you are or may be pregnant, talk to your doctor before you become more active.
If you answered yes to one or more questions: Talk with your doctor BEFORE you start becoming much more physically active or BEFORE you have a fitness appraisal. Tell your doctor about this questionnaire and which questions you answered YES to.
You may still be able to do any activity you want – as long as you start slowly and build up gradually. Or, you may need to restrict your activities based on medical advice.
Please visit our Swimming Information page for more information about our policies.
You must be over 14 years old to use the gym and all customers using the gym for the first time must have an induction and complete a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire. Please visit our Gym page for more information about our gym policies. Dolphin Centre Gym [link] Eastbourne Sports Complex [link]
Dolphin Centre Soft Play (Under the Sea)
Casual Soft Play
Suitable for children up to the age of 10. To access our casual soft play area, all children must be accompanied by a responsible adult aged over 16 years old.
The crèche allows you to use the Centre's facilities while your children are supervised by our qualified nursery staff. Available for children of 8 weeks to 4 years (pre-school children).
Cameras and Mobile Phones
Customers wishing to use such equipment within the Centre must first gain permission from the Centre Management. We ask that cameras and mobile phones are not used on poolside.
Anti-social behaviour of any kind will not be tolerated towards customers or members of our team. Please note that CCTV operates within the Centre.
Healthy Darlington Everyone Card
You may be eligible for concessions on activities. Please visit our Healthy Darlington Everyone page.
Code of Service
Cultural Services Code of Service is the standard we expect all our staff to deliver when dealing with all customers. Our customers are anyone we come into contact with whilst at work. For information on the standard visit our vision statement and service standards page.
A challenging target of reducing our carbon emissions by 25% over the next 5 years has been set. This Carbon Management Plan focuses on the practical actions and changes to be undertaken to reduce the carbon footprint of the Council, but it is also recognition of the Council’s responsibility to lead by example. Carbon management is important to the Council as it represents the opportunity to tackle climate change and make cost savings through improved efficiencies which improve value for money for the Borough’s residents.
In June 2010, the Council adopted its first Carbon Management Plan [pdf document, 1.9mb] This plan sets out the Council's ambition for reducing its carbon emissions by 25% over the next 4 years and outlines the actions needed to be undertaken to achieve this target.
Environmental policy [pdf document]
Dolphin Centre energy certificate [pdf document]
Travel is an essential part of modern life. Whether you’re commuting to work or school, enjoying trips out with family, visiting friends or picking up a weekly shop, there are a range of travel choices available to you. Visit Local Motion [external link] for more information.
We are committed to saving energy:
- We use pool covers on two of our pools
- LED lighting in our Pool Complex
- Passive Infrared Motion Sensors (PIR sensors) are used within a lot of our corridors, changing rooms and management offices. Part of our future plans is to get these in all circulation areas
- We 100% recycle all our paper, glass and cooking oil. All other waste is put in a compactor, which gets broken down and recycled at the Darlington recycling site
- Push buttons operate in all of our showers and on our taps, saving water
- We encourage customers to be more green by accessing information on this website, rather than distributing an excess of leaflets
- Our pool plant has been upgraded (August 2015-May 2016). This included installing new lighting and tiles, improvement to the ventilation in this area and the replacement of the waterproof membrane.