In July 2019, Members acknowledged the threat of climate change and passed a motion committing the Council to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050. On 20th July 2023, a new motion reaffirming the climate emergency declaration and bringing the date forward to 2040, was passed.
The Council's climate change strategy and action plan will be revised and amended to take account of this new target and will be published in due course.
- Darlington Borough Council climate change strategy [pdf document].
- Climate change action plan [pdf document].
- Climate change report 2020/21 [pdf document].
- Climate change report 2021/22 [pdf document].
- Progress on 10 of our projects [pdf document].
We are also members of the Tees Valley Combined Authority, which produced a region-wide climate change strategy in 2010.
Tees Valley climate change strategy [pdf document].
We have produced an infographic for communities to share, explaining what climate change is and what action can be taken locally.
Community infographic [pdf document]