Cookie Consent by Privacy Policies Generator website

Street parties

Street parties are a great way to celebrate with neighbours to mark special events.

If you are planning a street party, here is some information you might need.

This information is about parties that groups of residents arrange.

Let us know

If you want hold a street party you need to let us know the basic details.

We can tell you about:

  • safety issues
  • licences you might need
  • arranging road closures

Please fill in the online form at least ten weeks before your event:

Online event notification form

If you prefer you can print out the form and post it to us:

Event notification form [pdf document].


You do not usually need to have public liability insurance for a street party.

We will let you know if insurance is a good idea once we have seen your plans.

Insurance can start at as little as £50.

You can split costs between residents.

You could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

Selling alcohol and playing music

Less than 500 in attendance

You will need to get a temporary event notice at least ten working days before your event.

You do not need an entertainment licence for recorded/live music or dancing between 8am and 11pm.

More than 500 in attendance

You will need to apply for a full premise licence.

You should allow two months for the application processing.

For more information see our licensing pages.


If you and your neighbours are providing food for a street party you do not need to do anything.

Official food businesses do need to register with us, free of charge.

Mobile food traders that attend should:

  • be registered
  • have a valid street trading consent

Food made by you or your neighbours

Read our guide to food hygiene for catering volunteers.

We have advice if you are hosting a community barbecue or have a barbecue at your event.


Please be aware of the latest Coronavirus restrictions and advice.

See the government coronavirus webpages [external link].

Emergency access

You must make sure that emergency service vehicles are able to drive down the street at all times.

Street party or public event?

The main differences between a small street party and other public events are:

Street parties

  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Only publicised to residents
  • Held in a quiet residential road
  • Organised by a resident
  • Normally don't need insurance
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • No licences normally necessary
  • Held between 8am and 11pm

Other public events

  • Anyone can attend
  • Publicised to everyone (in newspapers; social media etc)
  • Held in a building or parks for example.
  • Have an official event organiser
  • Insurance needed
  • Written risk assessment normally required
  • Licence usually needed if more than 500 people are attending

Install our web app.