Updated on 24 February 2021
The Prime Minister announced on Monday, 22nd February, 2021 a roadmap to cautiously ease lockdown restrictions [externa link]
The impact of this upon the register office is:
- You can register a birth at the register office by appointment only but need to attend in person to do this.
- You can give notice of marriage or civil partnership but no further than six months ahead of the marriage/civil partnership.
- You can have a citizenship ceremony but with some restrictions.
- Death registrations are being held via telephone and the register office will help you through the process.
- You can obtain a copy birth, death or marriage certificate by applying online only. You cannot visit the register office to apply in person.
- Marriages and civil partnerships will can take place but with some restrictions on the number of people who can attend and also some restrictions on the format and content of the ceremony.
- We understand the difficulties and anxieties that you might have about visiting the register office for an appointment at this time and covid-secure measures have been introduced to make your visit as safe as possible. We do ask that you wear a face covering during your visit if you are able to.
Information about each of our services has been updated to reflect the impact but please do not hesitate to contact us if your question or query cannot be answered from the website.
You can contact us at: