Planning and Environmental Policy
Please note, if you wish to speak to someone about planning permission or a planning application, please call Development Management on 01325 405777
The Darlington Borough Draft Local Plan 2016-2036 Consultation has now begun.
Consultation on the Draft Local Plan, Draft Policies Map and Draft Sustainability Appraisal began on Thursday 21 June 2018 and will run until Thursday 2 August 2018
You can view all of the draft documents and make comments by going straight to our consultation portal [external link] or further information can be found at our designated Local Plan Website [external link]
All comments and response forms should be received by the Council by 5pm on Thursday 2 August 2018.
Heighington and Middleton St George - Draft Spatial Plan Consultation
As part of the preparation of the New Local Plan, work has been undertaken on exploring future development opportunities at two of the larger villages in Darlington; Middleton St George and Heighington. Draft spatial plans have been drawn up for both of these villages.
The Council is to consult the villages on these draft spatial plans in order to receive feedback from the community and stakeholders. A consultation is scheduled to start on the 4th Dec 2017 until 8th January 2018. During this period you can provide your views and comments to us on the draft plans. Further details can be seen on the Local Plan Consultation page [external link]
Draft Planning and Development Brief for Blackwell - Consultation has now ended
The Council has recently consulted on a draft Planning and Development Brief for Land to the East of Carmel Road South (Sites HE1 to HE4 - Former Blackwell Grange Golf Course). For further information, please visit the Blackwell Draft Planning and Development Brief page.
- Landscape and Restoration Plan showing adjoining properties [pdf document]
Local Plan Microsite
New Local Plan – Issues and Scoping Consultation
A new 20 year Darlington Local Plan 2016-2036 is being prepared for the whole Borough. Once adopted, it will be the development plan for all matters except minerals and waste. It will replace the existing adopted Darlington Local Development Framework Core Strategy (2011) [pdf document], and saved policies of the Borough of Darlington Local Plan.
The Issues and Scoping Consultation has now ended. Thank you for all of the comments we have received. For more information please visit the New Local Plan 2016-2036 page or our microsite www.darlington.gov.uk/localplan
The Council has launched its new Local Plan Microsite to keep you up to date about what's happening on the progress of the new Darlington Local Plan. As part of this, we are refreshing our consultation database, and this is your opportunity to get involved. If you would like to receive correspondence from us about the new Local Plan you will need to complete this contact form or if you have previously received correspondence from us and would like to continue to do so, you will need to confirm your details, also using the contact form.
Making and Growing Places
Members have now agreed to formally withdraw the draft Making and Growing Places DPD to enable work to start on a comprehensive new Local Plan. For further information, please visit the New Local Plan page
Obtaining copies of planning documents
Paper copies of published documents can be viewed at the Town Hall, Darlington during normal office hours (8:45am - 4:45pm Monday - Thursdays, 8:45am - 4:15pm Fridays).
The following planning documents are available to order:
- The Borough of Darlington Local Plan (adopted 1997, with alterations 2001) is available for purchase in paper format (£18, add £4 if postage is required) or as CD-ROM (£20, postage free). Payment is required with order. Please make cheques payable to Darlington Borough Council.
- The Core Strategy is available in paper format (£15 including p&p).
- The Tees Valley Joint Minerals and Waste Core Strategy DPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p)
- The Tees Valley Joint Minerals and Waste Policies and Sites DPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p)
- The Revised Design of New Development SPD is available in paper format (£20 including p&p).
- Green Infrastructure Strategy is available in paper format. The Guide costs £20 including p&p, and the Strategy and the Action Plan cost £12 each including p&p.
- Guidelines for the Introduction of A2 and A3 Uses and Amusement Centres into the Secondary Shopping Frontages of Darlington Town Centre [pdf document] (Adopted 1998 - free of charge)
- Planning Obligations SPD [pdf document] is available in paper format (£12 including p&p).
Contact us at email@example.com or 01325 405777