What is a mutual exchange?
A mutual exchange is where a tenant swaps their current home with another council tenant or housing association tenant.
Who can apply?
- A council tenant must be a Secure Tenant and not an Introductory Tenant.
- A mutual exchange can be agreed between eligible tenants anywhere in the country. To be eligible, you must have the ‘Right To Exchange’. Please contact your landlord if you are unsure if you have this right. You must also have a clear rent account and your property must be in a good state of repair.
- You should also make sure that the property you wish to move to is in good condition as you will accept responsibility for any alterations to the property carried out by the previous tenant.
- Tenants who live in an adapted property, in a bungalow or sheltered housing can only exchange with someone who needs this type of property.
- To exchange tenancies, both tenants need written permission from their landlord before they arrange to move.
How to join the Mutual Exchange register
- You must have an email address to be able to register
- Complete an online registration at www.swapandmove.co.uk
- Once Darlington Borough Council have approved your application you can log in to view your matches and contact tenants who you are interested in swapping with
- You can also download the free app and access your SwapandMove account via your smart phone using the appropriate links below.