Darlington Youth Partnership
The idea of Darlington Youth Partnerships is to take forward issues that children and young people from the Borough of Darlington have identified and to campaign for change to happen. We aim to ask for their opinions on the important things going on in Darlington, whether it is new town developments, cuts to public spending or youth activities.
Make Your Mark
Youth Parliament [external link]
Mille Tezcan Darlington’s MYP
Hi I am Mille I am 17 and currently studying for my A levels at Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form Collage, I became the Youth Parliament (MYP) in September 2017. I will carry on with the excellent work that the former MYP Jess Halliday was campaigning for.
- Transport prices- reduce public transport costs for 16-18 year olds
- Mental health- raise awareness and support for Mental Health: A recent Mental Health survey by Healthwatch Darlington included concerns over waiting times and children and young people not feeling that they were actually helped once accessing the services! And 61% of our children and young people survey users told us they don’t think there is enough information available for young people about mental health services.
- Work experience- increase availability of work experience for young people
- Employment: Jobs for teens, so we can earn some pocket money and get some work experience.
- Reintroduce Exam Re-sit: So we can get our best grades possible.
- Stopping further cuts: We need emergency services, so we can be safe all of the time.
Click the link to see more on my manifesto [pdf document]
UK Youth Parliament have chosen to campaign on votes at 16 and a curriculum for life in 2017. http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk
Votes for 16 year olds
Here are some reasons why you should be able to vote at 16;
- Give full consent to medical treatment;
- Pay income tax and National Insurance
- Obtain tax credits and welfare benefits in their own right
- Consent to sexual relationships
- Get married or enter a civil partnership, with parental consent;
- Change their name by deed poll;
- Become a director of a company;
- Serve in the armed forces but not deployed on the front line.