Immigration Inspections

People moving into Darlington Borough Council area to live from a country outside the EEC, have to confirm that they are moving into accommodation that is of a suitable standard that will not be made overcrowded by their arrival.


A named individual normally has to sponsor the person moving into the area and this individual or sponsor is asked by the immigration authority for proof that the property being moved into, is suitable.  The immigration inspection should be carried out by a suitably qualified and experienced competent person.  The survey is designed to ensure that the accommodation meets the following criteria:

  • the minimum housing standard under the Housing Act 2004
  • is in a reasonable state of repair, and
  • has sufficient space to accommodate both the existing occupiers and any additional people who propose to live there.

Private sector housing charge for this optional service which is currently £120. For sponsors who are living in privately rented accommodation we ask that a copy of the current gas safety certificate be provided.

Immigration inspection application form [word document]