Functional / Digital Skills ICT
- Are aged 19 years or older;
- Have been a UK, EU or EEA resident continuously for the previous three years;
- Have the right to live and work in the UK, EU or EEA
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for those who do not currently hold an ICT qualification, who has an ICT qualification below GCSE level or for those who want to further improve their ICT skills. The emphasis is on building up the basics to continue on to higher levels. Improved ICT skills will assist in maintaining your everyday life and in seeking or improving your employability. You will learn in a friendly, supportive online environment and at a pace to suit your needs.
The curriculum intent of Functional Skills / Digital Skills ICT is for learners to get to grips with a variety of ICT technology and learn how to effectively operate a computer/laptop, including safe internet searching, creating documents, adapt settings, using Microsoft Office and various other soft and hard ware, plus lots more. Each level of Functional Skills / Digital Skills ICT builds on the previous level up to the completion of a Level 2 qualification. These qualifications are nationally recognised and can help you to upskill and gain employment.
- You must sit an assessment to join an ICT course
- Assessments are held every Friday between 1pm-3.30pm at the Coleridge Centre. You can also sit the assessment online if you cannot come in-centre. Assessments are not held on bank holidays or during school holidays
- Assessments take approximately 1 hour
- The level at which you join an ICT course is dependent on your results of the initial assessment and any previous qualifications you may hold
- You may incur a waiting period in between completing your assessment and starting lessons
We offer ICT at the following levels:
- Entry Level 1
- Entry Level 2
- Entry Level 3
- Level 1 (equivalent to GCSE grade 1-3 / old graded D-G)
- Level 2 (equivalent to GCSE grade 4 / old grade C)
Entry Level 1/ Entry Level 2
- Switching on and closing down the computer
- Using a mouse and keyboard
- Word processing
- Saving and organising your work
- Using tools to create a poster / party invitations
- Adding formatting to a document
- Moving and modifying text
- Using a printer
- File management
- Using flash drives
- Using a search engine to source information effectively
Entry Level 3
- All topics in Entry Levels 1 and 2 plus:
- Creating presentations
- Adding slides
- Creating an email account
- Sending and receiving emails
- Functions and formulae
Level 1 / Level 2
- All topics in previous levels, but more in depth, plus:
- Using devices and handling information
- Creating and editing
- Being safe and responsible online
Time and Location
- You will attend one 2 to 3 hour lesson per week at the Coleridge Centre in Skerne Park, Darlington
- ICT courses are roll on/roll off - there is no set start or end date and you will work at your own pace
- Courses are held on a variety of days and times
All ICT equipment is supplied to you. Please bring:
- a notepad
- a pen (or a digital device) to take notes
- a file to store your work
This course is free of charge, providing you meet the eligibility criteria above. If you do not meet any one of the three criteria listed, each level you study will be charged at £135 and the assessment will be charged at £20.
- You must sit a mandatory exams to achieve your qualification
- Exams take place at The Coleridge Centre or Bennet House in Darlington
- Under no circumstances can you sit your exam at home or at any other venue
- Exams for Functional / Digital Skills in England are set by the Department for Education in cooperation with national exam boards. There are no nationally set dates and times for Functional / Digital Skills exams, you will only sit an exam after a period of study when your tutor and yourself mutually agree you are exam ready
- ICT exams take approximately two hours to complete
After this course has finished you may like to progress to the next level in ICT which might be a higher Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2. You may also wish to join other courses delivered by Learning & Skills across a variety of areas.
What do I do next?
- In the course title box please insert 'ICT initial assessment'
- When completing the funding stream part of the form, please select 'option A'
If you require help with the form please contact us on 01325 405601, 07932 869325 or l&[email protected]