Council tax online
Create your Council Tax Online account by clicking the blue button above and following the instructions to either register or sign in if you have an existing account. Once you have created an account you can:
- Sign up to e-billing
- download printable copies of your Council Tax bills
- See payments due and any already paid on your account (payments show the working day after they are received by us)
- Discounts, exemptions and reliefs on your account
- Council Tax Support award totals
- Council Tax Band or Rateable Values
- And sign up to Direct Debit
To inform us of a change of address please visit our online forms pages.
To make a payment go to our Council Tax Payment Portal.
To access your account online you will need:
- Your ONLINE KEY from your most recent Council Tax bill. This is located near the top right of your bill. If you have multiple bills for the same address only your most recent Online Key will be valid.
- Your 11 digit payment reference number shown above your name and address on your bill. In some cases the 11th ‘digit’ may be an X which should NOT be included in the signing up process.
- Your First and Last name if you are the Liable Party for Council Tax
Once you have created your online account you will only need your username and password to access your account
Switch to paperless billing
If you would like to switch to paperless billing you can do so by signing in to your Council Tax online account. Once signed in you can choose to switch to paperless billing and all future bill notifications will be sent to you by email. Your bill notification emails will contain all the information you need to access your bill online.
You will need a valid email address that we can send your notifications to. Once signed up we will send all future Council Tax bill notifications to this address. If you change email address you can log in and update your account any time.
If your Council Tax account is in the name of more than one person then you will both need to sign up for e-billing to stop your future bills being sent in the post.
If you want to inform us of a change of address, apply for a discount, exemption or relief or you would like to switch to Direct Debit please visit our Council tax forms or business rates forms pages.
Property band enquiries
You can use Council Tax Online to check the band of any property in the Darlington Borough Council area. You just need the postcode or street name to do this.
Having difficulty accessing your account? See our Troubleshooting information [pdf document].
If you don’t have a bill with an online key you can request one by filling in our online form and choosing the reason for your enquiry as Copy Bill.
- Council tax online key (e-form opens in a new window)
- Business rates online key (e-form opens in a new window)